Saturday 9 October 2010

Spicy Peach Salsa

I know. I know. I said I wasn’t going to do it.  I wasn’t going to can anymore peaches. I was done canning peaches this year.  I also said I wasn’t going to make Peach Salsa, but guess what, I changed my mind.

The peaches were just staring at me and begging to be used for something.  I already made peach cobbler, peach lavender jam, spiced pickled peaches, and froze some peaches for later use so what else was there to make? I guess I could’ve just eaten them, but they seemed to have a higher calling than just to be eaten plain. 

The more I looked at the ingredients in this salsa recipe, the more I wanted to make it. I mean, how can you go wrong with peaches, tomatoes, red bell peppers, cumin, jalapeño and onions? I knew my oldest son would eat it if no one else would.  He loves really spicy and hot stuff.

peach-salsa 002

So, that’s what I did.  I made Spicy Peach Salsa. Actually, I made the salsa last month when I was canning peaches, but just now got around to posting about it. 

Here’s the recipe:

Spicy Peach Salsa

Makes: 6 cups

Recipe found in Put 'em Up! by Sheri Brooks Vinton

Ingredients:

3 pounds peaches
1 cup cider vinegar
1 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon salt
1 pound tomatoes, cored, seeded, and diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 jalapeño pepper, diced
1 red onion, diced
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro

 

Directions:

Prepare an ice-water bath in a large bowl or clean sink.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Working in batches of 2 peaches at a time, blanch the fruit in the boiling water for 30 seconds to loosen the skins

Scoop the peaches out of the water and plunge them into the ice-water bath.  Repeat with the remaining peaches. Drain.

For a step-by-step tutorial on blanching, cooling, peeling and slicing the peaches, refer to my Pickled Ginger Peaches post.

Combine the vinegar, brown sugar, cumin, and salt in a large nonreactive pot.

peach-salsa 001

Using a small paring knife, peel, pit, and dice the peaches, adding them to the pot as you go to prevent browning. Add the tomatoes, bell pepper, jalapeño, and onion, and bring to a boil. 

peach-salsa 004

peach-salsa 005

Reduce the heat and simmer until thickened, about 15 minutes.  Add the cilantro and remove from the heat.

peach-salsa 007

Ladle the salsa into clean, hot half-pint canning jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace.

peach-salsa 008

Release trapped air. 

peach-salsa 010

Wipe the rims clean, center lids on the jars and screw on jar bands.

peach-salsa 011

Process for 15 minutes. If you live in a higher altitude or need more detailed instructions on water-bath canning, please refer to the instructions at the National Center for Home Preservation.

peach-salsa 012

Turn off heat, remove canner lid, and let jars rest in the water for 5 minutes.  Remove jars and set aside for 24 hours.  Check seals, then store in a cool, dark place for up to 1 year.

peach-salsa 014

I haven’t used any of the salsa yet, but it smelled so good while it was simmering.  I have a Mexican Skillet Chicken recipe that is made with salsa and I know just the salsa I’m going to use next time.   Mmmm… I can’t wait to try it!

 

Happy Canning and Baking!
Cathy


Here are some of the references I use in my canning adventures. You might enjoy them as well:

No comments:

Post a Comment