Friday 15 October 2010

Grissini Olive Oil Bread Sticks: HBinFive

My family loves bread sticks, particularly the soft kind you get at Italian restaurants.  I’ve never cared too much for crunchy bread sticks so I wasn’t really sure how I would like these Grissini Olive Oil Bread Sticks. However, I decided to give them a try.

To  make these bread sticks, we had the choice of using the Healthy Bread in Five Minutes Master Recipe, 100% Whole Wheat Bread dough, or 100% Whole Wheat Bread with Olive Oil dough. I chose one of my favorite HBinFive doughs – 100% Whole Wheat Bread with Olive Oil Dough. I’ve used this same dough to make Grilled BBQ Pizza,100% Whole Wheat Bread with Olive Oil, and Aloo Paratha.  All of the breads I’ve made with this dough have been delicious. 

I thought this dough would do well for these bread sticks.  I was right. They taste great!  My son and my BF liked them as well. They said these were better than the Grissini I made for the Mellow Bakers a few months ago.  Go figure!

italian-bread-sticks 024

You can find the recipe for the 100% Whole Wheat Bread with Olive Oil Dough on Google Books on page 81.


Making the Grissini Olive Oil Bread Sticks

To make these bread sticks, you just take 1/2 pound of the 100% Whole Wheat Olive Oil dough out of the refrigerator and roll it out into a rectangle.

italian-bread-sticks 002

Then you cut the dough into 1/8-inch wide strips with a pizza cutter or sharp knife.

italian-bread-sticks 003

Then lay the strips on a prepared cookie sheet or parchment paper.  I opted for the parchment paper.  I made some twists and some normal bread sticks.

italian-bread-sticks 004

Then I brushed olive oil over each strip and sprinkled them with salt and rosemary – some crushed and some whole leaves.

italian-bread-sticks 005

Then, I baked the bread sticks on a baking stone for 10 to 16 minutes.

italian-bread-sticks 006

Grissini are done when they are nicely browned and beginning to crisp. Don’t cook them too long. They will firm up  when they cool.

italian-bread-sticks 008

Here are the bread twists.I thought they turned out great.  They were crunchy with a delicious flavor.

italian-bread-sticks 010

The regular bread sticks tasted great as well. So I’ve been converted.  I now like crunchy bread sticks.

italian-bread-sticks 026

Be sure to check out BigBlackDog to see what the other bakers made for the October 15th Bread Braid roundup.  I’m sure you’ll get some new and creative ideas.



About the HBinFive Baking Group
The HBinFive Baking Group, started by Michelle of Big Black Dogs, is baking through all of the breads in the Healthy Bread in Five Minutes book. For more information on the HBinFive baking group, check out BigBlackDog.

No comments:

Post a Comment