Thursday 7 October 2010

Making Apple Jelly/Pectin and Apple Sauce

It’s apple season! I love apples! Apple Jelly is my very favorite jelly. Not only does it taste wonderful on a PB&J sandwich or toast, you can also use apple jelly as natural pectin in other jams.

Perfect, I thought! I’ll make some apple jelly to eat and use some in other recipes that need extra pectin to come together.

apple-jelly-and-sauce 040

I got the recipe for this Apple Jelly Pectin from Wendy of SUNCHOWDER’S EMPORIA.  Wendy makes beautiful artisan jams, chutneys and pickles. 

Wendy made Sweet Cherry Pinot Grigio Jam with some of her apple pectin, but I’ll be making something different. I’ll post about that later.

Granny Smith Apple Jelly Recipe

You can find Wendy’s recipe here.

apple-jelly-and-sauce 001

I had fun making this apple jelly.  I got to use some new tools.

Ingredients:

4 Pounds Granny Smith Apples (whole)
5 cups sugar
6 1/2 cups water
1 Juice of large Lemon

Directions:

Scrub the apples and cut the fruit into quarters leaving the skin intact. Place them into a large dutch oven and cover with the 6 1/2 cups of water.

apple-jelly-and-sauce 005

Bring this up to a slow boil and simmer on low for about 35 minutes (the apples should just be starting to fall apart).

apple-jelly-and-sauce 007

Get out a container and rest your chinois inside. Pour the apple mixture into the chinois and use your wooden tool or the back of a spatula to press all the juice out of the mixture.

apple-jelly-and-sauce 008

Isn’t this cool!  I just love using the chinois!

apple-jelly-and-sauce 009

Take this juice and strain it again. As Wendy suggested, I used a small strainer and a wet piece of cheesecloth and poured the mixture through a couple of times to ensure the jelly would be clear.

apple-jelly-and-sauce 010

Now take 4 1/2 cups of this mixture and place it in your preserving pan--add the sugar and lemon.

apple-jelly-and-sauce 014

Bring this mixture up to a boil and continue to hold there until your thermometer reaches 221. You can skim the mixture as you go.

apple-jelly-and-sauce 017

Once you reach 221, shut the fire and let it rest for 5 minutes.

apple-jelly-and-sauce 018

After 5 minutes, turn the fire back up to reach 221 degrees. This little rest ensures a good gel.  It worked!  It’s starting to gel!

apple-jelly-and-sauce 019

Pour this mixture into 8 oz sterilized jars and add the lids and rings.

apple-jelly-and-sauce 021

apple-jelly-and-sauce 022

Process in a water bath canner for 10 minutes. If you live in a higher altitude or need more detailed instructions on water-bath canning, please refer to the instructions at the National Center for Home Preservation

apple-jelly-and-sauce 023

Remove the canner lid and let the jars sit in the canner for 5 minutes.  Then place them on the counter to sit overnight until the seals set. Listen for the ping, ping.  I just love that sound.

apple-jelly-and-sauce 025

Then the jelly is ready to be enjoyed.  Don’t forget to save some to use as pectin to make another delicious jam.

apple-jelly-and-sauce 039

I don’t know if you noticed from the photo above, but there was a lot of apple left over. I didn’t want to waste it so I got out my trusty food mill and processed the apple pulp into apple sauce.

apple-jelly-and-sauce 016

Look at all of this delicious apple sauce.  I added some cinnamon sugar and enjoyed it for several days. It was so good!

apple-jelly-and-sauce 024

So, 4 pounds of apples turned into 7 jars of apple jelly/pectin, and a quart of apple sauce.  My grandmother would be proud. 

Happy Canning and Baking!
Cathy


Here are some of the references I use in my canning adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment