Wednesday 30 June 2010

Whole Wheat Banana Bread: HBinFive

The second bread in the July 1st Healthy Bread in Five Minutes Bread Braid is Whole Wheat Banana Bread. I had a bunch of  overripe bananas in my refrigerator that were almost past their prime so this was good timing.

This particular banana bread is a yeasted banana bread rather than a quick bread. It is made with a combination of white whole wheat flour and all-purpose flour and honey and oil rather than sugar and butter. I've made yeasted banana bread before and wasn't too impressed so I didn't know what to expect with this bread.  I guess I'm just partial to the banana bread that I grew up eating.




You can find the recipe for this whole wheat banana bread on page 200 of the Healthy Bread in Five Minutes book.


I used freshly-milled white whole wheat flour and all-purpose flour. I made the dough the night before I planned to bake the bread and let it sit on the counter for two hours. Then I put the dough in the refrigerator to ferment overnight.

I baked the bread the next day and I'm happy to say that I was pleasantly surprised.  This yeasted banana bread tasted good, especially warm with butter.



Editors note:  This bread tasted really good warm and fresh from the oven.  I tried it a little while later and it was a bit lacking in flavor.  This is probably because I was expecting it to taste more like a banana quick bread.  My son thought it lacked flavor as well and he didn't like the crust.

Having said that, this is a great bread for toasting.  It tastes good with peanut butter which is not something I would normally eat on banana bread.  Who knew?



Thanks for joining me in the bread-baking blog.  Check out BigBlackDog to see all of the breads in the July 1st Bread Braid roundup.

Happy Baking!
Cathy




About the HBinFive Baking Group

The HBinFive Baking Group, started by Michelle of Big Black Dogs, is baking through all of the breads in the Healthy Bread in Five Minutes book. For more information on the HBinFive baking group, check out BigBlackDog.





Here are some additional bread-making resources:

No comments:

Post a Comment