Friday 4 June 2010

Whole Wheat Artisan Loaf in a Pot

I decided to experiment some more with the Healthy Bread in Five Minutes Master Formula. This formula is very versatile. So far, I've made the hearty whole wheat sandwich loaf - which I loved by the way, a whole wheat wreath bread, free form artisan loaves with and without seeds and free form artisan loaves with herbs.  I made the free form loaves for the Stir It 28 - Atlanta Event. I've also made pizza and hamburger buns.

This time, I baked a free form boule in my handmade Bread Pot. I've only used this bread pot a couple of times so it was time to test it some more. This was the perfect dough to use in this bread pot.  It looks much better than my sourdough experiment. I'll have to try that one again soon.



Here is the link to the Healthy Bread in Five Minutes Master Formula on the Artisan Bread in Five site.

Making the Dough

I made the full batch using 5 1/2 cups of Bob's Red Mill Whole Wheat Flour and 2 cups of all-purpose flour.  I used the scoop method to measure the flour and it worked great.   The consistency of the dough was so easy to work with.  I made the dough in the morning, let it sit on the counter for 2 hours, then put it in the refrigerator until that evening (about 9 hours).


Baking the Loaf

When I was ready to bake the bread, I took out 2 pounds of dough, shaped it into a ball and placed it in a bowl to rest while the oven preheated to 450 degrees with the bread pot in it.



When the oven was ready, I placed the boule carefully in the hot pot and cut slits in the top using kitchen shears.  I didn't even need to flour the loaf or grease the pot before placing the loaf in it. 



I baked the loaf for about 15 minutes or so with the lid on.


And another 15 minutes or so with the lid off.


And, Voila, it was done!  That was almost too easy!


The crust was crispy and the inside crumb was soft and yummy!




I enjoyed this bread with egg salad and a pickle. Yummy!
 

This bread makes a good sandwich, but the next time I make the dough, I will leave it in the refrigerator overnight at least to give it more flavor.  This was the first time I actually used the dough the same day I made it.  I usually wait several days before making the bread.  The overnight fermentation in the refrigerator definitely improves the flavor.

I have 2 more pounds of this dough resting in the refrigerator.  Should I make the whole grain garlic knots, or the cinnamon raisin bagels, or the moon and stars bread? You'll have to check back to see which one I choose. 



Happy Baking!
Cathy



About the HBinFive Baking Group

The HBinFive Baking Group, started by Michelle of Big Black Dogs, is baking through all of the breads in the Healthy Bread in Five Minutes book. For more information on the HBinFive baking group, check out BigBlackDog.





This bread has been YeastSpotted. Please visit Wild Yeast to view all of the lovely breads in the roundup.

No comments:

Post a Comment