Monday 21 December 2009

Making Jam: Christmas Marmalade

Here is a beautiful and easy-to-make Holiday Jam. This Christmas Marmalade is made with oranges, lemon, pineapple and cherries.  I've been wanting to make this jam for several months. I got a food processor as an early Christmas present so I decided now was the time.  I broke in my food processor last night by chopping up fruit for this marmalade and two other marmalades (to be revealed in future posts).  I was in heaven -- it made things so easy!

Did I mention that this marmalade is delicious?  Well, it is! I plan to give some of this away for Christmas but I'm definitely keeping some for my family as well.  Yum!

Christmas Marmalade
Makes: About 7-8 half-pint (8-ounce) jars (Plus a little extra for the preparer)



The recipe for this festive marmalade is from Keeping The Harvest: Discover the Homegrown Goodness of Putting Up Your Own Fruits, Vegetables & Herbs by Nancy Chioff & Gretchen Mead.

Ingredients:

  • 3 oranges
  • 1 lemon
  • 1 large can (1pound, 14 ounces, crushed pineapple)
  • 3 pounds sugar
  • 1 small jar maraschino cherries, chopped

 

Directions:

Tip: If you have a food-processor, it definitely speeds up the process for making this marmalade.

In a food processor, fitted with the metal blade, working in batches, pulse oranges and lemon until finely chopped.  Do not puree.  To make things easier, I cut the fruit into quarters before putting it in the food processor.

Here's a picture of my new food processor.  It does such fine work!




Here are the chopped cherries.  What a beautiful color!



In a deep, stainless steel saucepan, combine chopped oranges, lemon, pineapple with juice and sugar.  Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Boil hard, stirring until constantly, until mixture begins to sheet from a metal spoon (20-30 minutes).



Add cherries and boil until mixture reaches gel stage, about 5 (or 10) minutes.



Remove from heat and test gel.  If gel stage has been reached, skim off foam.  Mine didn't have any foam.

Ladle hot marmalade into hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace.  Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace if necessary.

Center lid on jar.  Screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip-tight.

Process in a boiling-water bath for 5 minutes, up to 1,000 feet altitude.  If you live in a higher altitude or need more detailed instructions on water-bath canning, please refer to the instructions on this site: National Center for Home Preservation.

Wait 5 minutes, then remove the jars from the canner, cool and store.  These jars are ready to be stored (or given away).  See the big one in the back?  That's the one I'm keeping!



 

I had a little bit of jam left that wouldn't fit in the jars. Not to worry!  I'm putting it to good use.  It tastes really good on toasted 7-Grain Bread.



 

Happy Canning and Baking!
Cathy

Here are some of the references I use in my canning adventures. You might enjoy them as well:


Here are some delicious breads that would go well with this jam!

No comments:

Post a Comment