Friday 4 December 2009

Cranberry Walnut Pumpkin Bread

I thought I was finished making pumpkin breads last month, but then I saw this recipe for Cranberry Walnut Pumpkin Bread on The Duo Dishes and that changed everything.  I just had to make it.  I was already planning on making breads with cranberries this month so this was perfect!

The combination of flavors -  pumpkin, tangerine, cranberries and walnuts - elevates this bread to a different category altogether. I had never used tangerine in a bread before - only lemon and orange zests.  I love tangerine so the thought intrigued me. Well, let me tell you, this bread is fabulous!  You get a different flavor burst with every bite.  Sometimes it's tart and sometimes it's nutty and sweet.  Very interesting and delightful!

The best part is once you get all of the ingredients together, this bread is quick and easy.  I actually had all of the ingredients which is why I was so excited about trying it. Nothing special to buy.

I could go on and on about this bread...

but, let's just make it already...


Cranberry Walnut Pumpkin Bread
Makes: 2 loaves
Recipe from: http://duodishes.com/2009/10/31/bobbys-guest-test-kitchen/#comment-6285


Here are some other Cranberry Bread Recipes and Pumpkin Bread Recipes you might enjoy.


Ingredients

  • 1 1/4 cups unsalted butter, melted
  • 5 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 2 2/3 cups pumpkin puree (I used freshly roasted pumpkin)
  • 2 1/2 cups sugar
  • Zest of 1 small tangerine
  • Juice of 1/2 tangerine
  • 4 1/8 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons nutmeg
  • 2 3/4 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 tablespoon kosher salt
  • 2 cups fresh cranberries
  • 1 1/3 cups walnut pieces
  • Turbinado sugar for sprinkling on top of the loaves (I used a generic version of Sugar In The Raw)

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 and grease two loaf pans. In a large mixing bowl, combine the butter and the eggs. Whisk in the pumpkin puree and sugar. Stir the tangerine zest and fresh tangerine juice. 

In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, salt and mix well.  Pour the dry ingredients into the liquid ingredients and fold until combined thoroughly. Gently add the cranberries and walnuts evenly throughout the batter.  Be careful not to pop the cranberries.


Divide the batter between the 2 loaf pans and sprinkle the top of each loaf with the Turbinado sugar.

Bake for 1 hour, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle of the loaf.
Cooling and Storing the Loaves
Let the loaves  cool in the loaf pans for about 10 minutes. Then transfer them to a wire rack.  Let them cool for about 30 minutes before slicing.

After the loaves are cooled, wrap them in plastic wrap or place them in a plastic bread bag and put them in the refrigerator for storing. You'll want to eat some first of course. We did! My taste tester (and I) loved this bread. I think I need to make another batch so he can have his own loaf. 


Thanks for visiting the Bread Experience blog. We hope you enjoyed your visit and will come back soon.
You might also enjoy some of these Cranberry Bread Recipes or Pumpkin Bread Recipes.

Happy Baking!
Cathy

No comments:

Post a Comment