Friday 2 August 2013

Spelt Pizza on the Grill

Last weekend, I visited a friend who had never tried grilled pizza. It just so happened, that I needed to make some pizza for the Grain Mill Wagon Challenge so he was the lucky recipient of Margherita Spelt Pizza on the grill.

grilled-spelt-pizza_08

 

The dough for this pizza is made completely with Spelt flour. I used a mixture of all-purpose Spelt flour and whole grain spelt flour that I milled in my grain mill. I also added some herbs to give the dough a boost in flavor. I had tried this with the Pepperoni Braid I made a few months ago and it really made a difference.

For the toppings, I used fresh tomatoes and basil from my garden, and fresh mozzarella. I also added some pizza sauce and Italian herbs. It was a delightful combination and my friend really enjoyed it. In fact, he liked it so much that he graciously accepted the leftover pizza.

I used his gas grill which is a little bit different from mine but it was really easy to use. He got the grill going and then sat back and watched me do my thing. That was fine by me. When I’m in my zone, I’m all over the place preparing the dough, taking photos, dancing around and you get the picture. It was probably best that he stayed out of the way. 

I brought my pizza stone, but it didn’t fit on his grill (because I brought the round one instead of the rectangular one) so we decided to grill the pizza directly on the grates. This is actually the way you are supposed to do it, but it’s tricky if you don’t have a work space near the grill. He doesn’t so I placed the pizza on parchment paper and transferred it to the grill with my pizza peel. Now if you’re more proficient with a pizza peel than I am, you probably could transfer it directly from the peel to the grates without the parchment paper. I haven’t quite gotten the hang of that (the dough always sticks to the peel) so I grilled the pizza (on the parchment paper) on the grates for a few minutes, then I removed the parchment paper to get the nice grill marks.

If you want to learn more about this grilled pizza, check out my Making Pizza Margherita on the Grill post on the Grain Mill Wagon.  This was my final post in the challenge. I had a lot of fun.

 

I rode the Grain Mill Wagon

 

Happy Grilling!

Cathy

No comments:

Post a Comment