Sunday 11 August 2013

Smooth & Delicious Rosemary Peach Butter

It’s peach season! I just love this time of year because I get to go to my favorite farm and pick out peaches for peach butter.

rosemary-peach-butter002

The funny thing is… I didn’t like peaches when I was younger. I know, that’s kind of odd for someone that grew up in Georgia, a state known for it’s peaches. I enjoyed the flavor of peaches, but not the fuzz. I’m a texture-oriented eater and peach fuzz just doesn’t feel right on my teeth. I missed out on enjoying Georgia peaches for a long time, but once I got into canning, I made up for lost time.

I particularly enjoy making peach butter. Over the past few years, I’ve made several different types of peach butter. I love the tried and true peach butters, but I wanted to try something different this season.

The problem is, I get stuck in my box sometimes. When I need to come up with a creative idea and have a mental block, I turn to Pinterest for ideas. It’s amazing what you can find there.

I knew I wanted to add something different to the peach butter, but I couldn’t think of what that should be. I happened upon a couple of photos of Rosemary Peach Butter and decided rosemary was the missing ingredient. 

Why didn’t I think of that?  I love rosemary. I have a rosemary bush that beckons to me everyday as I walk by.  And, I’ve been using rosemary quite a bit lately in baking and cooking.

I decided to come out of my box and make this Rosemary Peach Butter. Now, it’s your turn to come out of the box.

 

Rosemary Peach Butter

rosemary-peach-butter_0007

 

Makes: 5 –6  Eight ounce jars

Idea inspired by: Food Babbles Rosemary Peach Butter 

Canning method adapted from: Put ‘em Up! by Sherry Brooks Vinton

Ingredients:

  • 4 pounds ripe peaches
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/8 cup lemon juice
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 3 small sprigs Rosemary

 

Preparation:

Step 1: Place the water and the lemon juice in a large nonreactive pot. Then prepare an ice-water bath by placing ice cubes and cold water in a large bowl.

Step 2: Fill another large pot with water and bring it to boil. Carefully drop 2 peaches at time into the boiling water and blanch them for 30 seconds to loosen the skins.

Step 3: Using a slotted spoon, remove the peaches from the water and place them in the ice-water bath.  Repeat the process with the remaining peaches. Let them drain in a colander.

Step 4: Peel the peaches.  This should be really easy now that they been blanched. Cut them in half and remove the pit.  Take the peach and smash it with your hand, then add it to the large pot with the lemon juice mixture.  Repeat this process with the rest of the peaches.

rosemary-peach-butter_01

Step 5: Bring the peach mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer until the peaches are soft, about 10 minutes or so. 

Step 6: Cool the mixture slightly, then puree with a stick blender. Place the pureed mixture back in the pot and add the sugar.

Step 7:  Wrap the rosemary sprigs in cheesecloth and fasten with string. Place the rosemary pouch in the pot with the peach puree and simmer this mixture over medium-low heat until it thickens.  This could take anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour or so. I placed a dollop on a plate that had been placed in the freezer to check if the gel was set. If the butter doesn’t spread around it’s perimeter, then it is ready.

rosemary-peach-butter_04

Step 8: Remove the butter from the heat. Retrieve the rosemary pouch and discard. Ladle the butter into clean, sterilized, hot half-pint jars.  Leave 1/4 inch headspace.  Remove air bubbles if necessary with a bubble remover and headspace tool. Wipe the edges clean. Center lid on jar.  Then screw the band down until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip-tight. 

Step 9:  Place the jars in the canner, ensuring they are completely covered with water. Process in a boiling-water bath for 10 minutes in altitudes up to 1,000 feet.  If you live in a higher altitude or need more detailed instructions on water-bath canning, please refer to the instructions at the National Center for Home Preservation.

Step 10: Remove canner lid. Wait 5 minutes, then remove the jars, and let them sit on the counter for 24 hours to cool and ensure they are sealed correctly. You should hear the lids pop if they are sealed properly.

Place the sealed jars in a cool, dry place for storage for up to a year.  If any of the jars do not seal properly, place them in the refrigerator. They will last for a couple of months in the refrigerator.

rosemary-peach-butter001

 

The flavor of this Rosemary Peach Butter is wonderful!  It has just a hint of rosemary so it’s not overpowering. I could eat it by the spoonful.

 

Happy Canning!

Cathy

No comments:

Post a Comment