Saturday 1 January 2011

100% Whole Wheat Flaxseed Bread: HBinFive

Happy New Year!  I’m starting the year off with a healthy bread. This 100% Whole Wheat Flaxseed Bread is one of the breads the HBinFive Bakers made for the January 1st Bread Braid.  It’s a very simple, but delicious bread. 

It smelled so good while it was baking. There’s just something about the smell of fresh bread baking in the oven.  Some friends came over about the time I put the loaves in the oven so I thought it was only fair to give them one.  Actually, I had planned to give them a loaf anyway so I was glad that the aroma tantalized them and that they gladly accepted the loaf and some Strawberry Jam to go with it.

whole-wheat-flaxseed-bread 018

This 100% whole wheat bread includes some ground flaxseed for extra nutrition.  Adding flaxseed to bread is a great way to ensure you’re getting omega-3 fatty acids in your diet. 

We’re not supposed to post the Healthy Bread in Five Minutes’ recipes due to copyright issues, but I will say that this recipe is the same as the 100% Whole Wheat Bread with Olive Oil except the 100% Whole Wheat Flaxseed Bread calls for 1/2 cup of flaxseed instead of 1/2 cup of olive oil.  Both recipes are great!

For this bread, I used a mixture of freshly milled white whole wheat flour from hard white winter wheat and whole wheat flour milled from hard red spring wheat.  If you want more information on home milling your own grains, click here.

I mixed the dough two days before I planned to make this bread.  That’s one of the benefits of using this method.  After you mix the dough, let it sit on the counter for 2 hours, then place it in the refrigerator and use it to make bread over the next 10 days (or the amount of time specified by the particular dough you’re making).

On bake day, I took the dough out of the refrigerator and divided it into two pieces. I had only made one-half of the recipe so it was enough dough for two loaves. I shaped each piece into a ball and covered them and let them rest on the counter for about an hour until the dough warmed to room temperature.

whole-wheat-flaxseed-bread 002

 

Then, I flattened the dough out into rounds so I could shape them into torpedo-shaped loaves.

whole-wheat-flaxseed-bread 003

 

I folded the top half of the dough to the middle and pressed the seam down with my fingers.

whole-wheat-flaxseed-bread 004

 

Then I folded the bottom half up to the middle and pressed the seam with the back of my hand to make sure it stayed closed.

whole-wheat-flaxseed-bread 005

whole-wheat-flaxseed-bread 006

 

Then I turned the loaves seam down on parchment paper and let them proof for an hour. The loaves didn’t rise much during the proofing which is normal for the Healthy Bread in Five Minutes’ breads.

whole-wheat-flaxseed-bread 007

 

Right before baking, I scored the loaves with three slashes.

whole-wheat-flaxseed-bread 008

 

Then I covered the loaves with plastic while I preheated the oven to 400º F/200º C with a baking stone on the middle rack and a steam pan underneath.

whole-wheat-flaxseed-bread 009

 

Once the oven was preheated sufficiently (about 30 minutes), I placed the loaves (parchment paper and all) on the baking stone and poured a cup of hot water in the steam pan.  I baked the loaves for 30 to 35 minutes until they were richly browned and firm. Then I placed the loaves on a cooling rack to cool before I gave one away.

whole-wheat-flaxseed-bread 011

 

We sliced the other loaf and enjoyed it toasted with cheese along with some Garden Fresh Tomato Soup made with the last tomatoes from my garden. I know it’s way past growing season but the tomatoes didn’t get the message. When the weather turned cold, I removed them from the vines and let them ripen inside.  Both the soup and the bread tasted great. 

whole-wheat-flaxseed-bread 025

 


 

About the HBinFive Baking Group
The HBinFive Baking Group, started by Michelle of Big Black Dogs, is baking through all of the breads in the  Healthy Bread in Five Minutes book. For more information on the new HBinFive baking group, check out Michelle's blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment