Thursday 11 February 2010

Stollen: BBA

I wanted to make Stollen, the 36th bread in the BBA Challenge, in December since it’s a Holiday bread, but decided not to skip ahead.  I’m glad I waited because I got a little bit tired of all of the enriched breads during the Holidays.

We’ve been making sourdough breads for the past few weeks in the challenge so this enriched bread is a nice change from all of the sourdough.

The first time I made this bread was during the Holidays in 2008 and it turned out huge!  I think I over proofed it.  The dough hardly fit on the baking sheet and it was a bear trying to get a decent photo. 

This time, the Stollen was more photogenic.

stollen 039

I outlined the process in my 2008 post so I won’t go into all that again. 

Please refer to the Traditional Christmas Stollen post for the instructions on how to make this delicious bread.

I used dried cranberries, apricots and golden raisins this time instead of candied fruit.  I also only baked this bread until it was golden brown. I don’t particularly like a deep mahogany color for breads I bake in my oven because when the bread gets to that point, it’s usually burnt.  I’m glad I didn’t bake it any longer, it turned out just right!

stollen 034

 

My substitutions must’ve worked because my taste tester told me that it’s the best enriched bread that I’ve made so far.  I’m still partial tor the Cranberry Walnut Celebration Bread, but this Stollen is really good.

stollen 043

 

I’ve been enjoying this bread toasted for breakfast.  It doesn’t even need butter.

So there you have Stollen!  Now, it’s on to the next bread in the challenge, Swedish Limpa (page 257 in the Bread Baker's Apprentice).

Thanks for joining us this week in the Bread Baker's Apprentice Challenge.

Happy Baking!
Cathy

No comments:

Post a Comment