Saturday 21 August 2010

Hamburger Dill Pickles

I made these Hamburger Dill Pickles during the Can-a-Rama 2010 weekend in July. I'm finally getting around to posting about them. 


Did you know that the term pickle is derived from the Dutch word pekel, meaning brine? In the U.S. and Canada, the word pickle alone almost always refers to a pickled cucumber (other types of pickles are described as "pickled onion," "pickled cauliflower," etc.).    
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickled_cucumber 

I thought this recipe sounded good because it includes honey and green peppers. The pickles were really easy to make and didn't take that many cucumbers. Which was perfect since I didn't have that many left in my garden.  I used some cucumbers from my garden and some that friends had given me.


Hamburger Pickles
Recipe from Pickles & Relishes: From apples to zucchini, 150 recipes for preserving the harvest by Andrea Chesman
Yield: 4 pints


Ingredients:

10 medium-sized cucumbers, sliced
1 large onion, sliced
1-3 cloves of garlic
1 green pepper, cut into strips
5 tablespoons pickling salt
2 cups honey
2 cups cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon turmeric
4 fresh dill heads

Directions:

Combine the cucumbers, onions, garlic, green peppers, and 4 tablespoons of the pickling salt in a large glass, ceramic, or stainless steel bowl.  This part draws out the water from the cucumbers. It's pretty cool how it works. 


Let stand for several hours.  Drain.  You can't really tell from this photo, but after a few hours, the cukes were sitting in water. I literally drained out a cup or more of water.



In a large saucepan, combine the honey, vinegar, water, the remaining pickling salt, and turmeric.  Heat to boiling. 




Add the drained cucumber mixture and heat almost to the boiling point, but do not boil.




Pack the cucumbers and syrup into clean, hot pint jars.  Top with a dill head, and be sure to leave 1/2 inch headspace. 




Seal. 



Process for 30 minutes in a water bath canner.  If you need more detailed instructions on water-bath canning, please refer to the instructions on this site: National Center for Home Preservation.


Remove the jars from the canner and let them sit on the counter until the seals set.  Then move them to storage. 



I'm looking forward to serving some of these pickles when we grill out burgers soon. It's been too hot here recently, but things should be cooling off a bit soon.  I hope...




Thanks for joining me for another pickle adventure.

Happy Canning and Baking!
Cathy


Here are some of the references I use in my canning adventures. You might enjoy them as well:

No comments:

Post a Comment