Wednesday 29 June 2011

Vollkornbrot with Flaxseeds

I admit it, I really only wanted to make this bread because it’s baked in a Pullman pan. Vollkornbrot is a 100% rye bread which is a feat in and of itself because without the addition of wheat flour for body, rye usually makes a flat, crumbly, and coarse-grained loaf. I didn’t anticipate liking it. However, I really enjoy using my Pullman pan so I decided this was as good of an excuse as any to make the bread. I have a friend who usually enjoys rye breads so I figured I could give it to him if I didn’t like it.

This is one of the June breads for the Mellow Bakers.  We had the choice of making Vollkornbrot with a rye-chops soaker and sourdough or with a rye-chops soaker and a flaxseeds soaker.  I chose the formula that used both soakers in addition to the sourdough.

vollkornbrot-with-flaxseeds 020

 

Volkornbrot with Flaxseeds

Makes: 1 Pullman loaf

This bread is from Bread: A Baker’s Book of Techniques and Recipes by Jeffrey Hamelman. You can find the formula for Vollkornbrot with the sourdough and rye-chops soaker here.

 

Method:

The sourdough is made with some rye meal and 2 tablespoons of a mature culture. Then you let it ripen on the counter for 14 to 16 hours.  I think I let mine ripen for 17 hours.  I just couldn’t seem to follow the instructions on this one.

vollkornbrot-with-flaxseeds 001

 

I couldn’t find any rye chops so I tried chopping some rye berries, but ended up with a little bit of rye meal, some rye chops and some whole rye berries in the soaker. I decided just to go with it.  Hey, you only live once, right? I figured I wasn’t going to like it anyway so it didn’t matter.

vollkornbrot-with-flaxseeds 003

vollkornbrot-with-flaxseeds 006

 

Next, you prepare the flaxseed soaker. You only let the flaxseeds soak for a little while in cold water so I wondered how that was going to turn out. 

vollkornbrot-with-flaxseeds 004

 

The flax seeds soaked up the water and became sticky, almost like gelatin.  It was really cool!

vollkornbrot-with-flaxseeds 005

 

After you mix all of the ingredients, the final dough only has to proof for 10 to 20  minutes before you roll (or pat it) into a log and place it in the pan.

vollkornbrot-with-flaxseeds 010

 

The final fermentation takes about 50 to 60 minutes.  Then you bake it for 1 1/4 hours. That’s a long time but the bread needs it due to the high-water retention properties of this type of bread.

vollkornbrot-with-flaxseeds 012

 

After the bread cools, you’re supposed to wrap it in baker’s linen and let it stand for a least 24 to 48 hours before slicing.  I was a good girl and I let it sit for 48 hours.

vollkornbrot-with-flaxseeds 021

 

Then we sliced it, toasted it and ate it.  Guess what, my taste tester and I liked it!  This is a very hardy bread, but it has a great flavor.  It’s definitely not dry. I think you could make a meal out of it if you were so inclined.  It makes a good accompaniment to smoked fish, cured meats, aged cheeses, preserves, but we enjoyed it plain with butter.

vollkornbrot-with-flaxseeds 029

 

I’m so glad I decided to try this bread. It’s really good and I had fun making it. It’s a big loaf so I froze some of it and I plan to give some to my friend who likes rye breads.  I think he’ll enjoy it.

 

Thanks for visiting the Bread Experience bread-baking blog.  I hope you’ll join me again soon.

Happy Baking!
Cathy

 

Mellow Bakers was started by Paul at Yumarama. We’re baking breads from Bread: A Baker’s Book of Techniques and Recipes by Jeffrey Hamelman.

No comments:

Post a Comment