Sunday 12 June 2011

Mango Habañero Jam

Last summer I participated in Steph Chows’ 2nd Annual Jam Exchange.  My jam exchange partner was Beth from The Seventh Level of Boredom.  When we were determining what jams to send each other, she asked me if I liked hot stuff (as in peppers) and I told her not usually, but my sons and my boyfriend would probably like it.

One of the jams Beth sent me was Mango Habañero Jam.  I loved it!  I practically ate all of the jam myself.  I would spread cream cheese on a cracker and drizzle the jam over the top. It did have a little bit of a kick but it wasn’t too hot. It tasted so good, I got addicted to it. Then, it was all gone…

So, when I saw Mangos in the market the other day, I decided it was time to make some of this jam for myself.  It makes 7-8 jars so I have plenty to share.  Everyone I’ve mentioned it to so far has wanted to try it so I don’t think I’ll have any problems finding taste testers. What I may have trouble doing is keeping some for myself. ;)

mango-habanero-jam 019

 

 

Mango Habañero Jam

Makes: 7-8 Half-Pint Jars

Adapted from this recipe http://theseventhlevelofboredom.blogspot.com/2010/08/mango-habanero-jam.html 

Original recipe found here
http://28cooks.blogspot.com/2009/10/mango-habanero-jam-this-is-probably-one.html

 

Ingredients:

  • 6-8 whole Habañeros (I removed the stems and most of the seeds)
  • 1 cup cider vinegar
  • 2 fresh mangos, peeled and chopped
  • 1/2 cup Papaya nectar
  • 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
  • 6 cups sugar
  • 1 packet liquid pectin

 

Directions:

Blend all Habañeros with vinegar, mango, and juices until well pureed. 

mango-habanero-jam 002

Bring mixture and sugar to a full rolling boil in a heavy pot.  Boil 8 minutes. 

mango-habanero-jam 005

Add liquid pectin and bring to boil again for 1 minute. 

mango-habanero-jam 007

Pour into 1/2-pint jars and seal.

mango-habanero-jam 009

Process the jars in a water-bath canner for 10 minutes.  Refer to the instructions at the National Center for Home Preservation.  Turn off heat, remove canner lid, and let jars rest in the water for 5 minutes.

mango-habanero-jam 011

Remove jars and set aside for 24 hours.  Check seals, then store in a cool, dark place for up to 1 year.

 

mango-habanero-jam 018

 

Happy Canning and Baking!

Cathy

 

Here are some of the references I use in my canning adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment