Monday 15 November 2010

Turkish Pear Coffee Bread with Pear Butter

I was a little bit hesitant to make the Healthy Bread in Five Minutes Turkish Pear Coffee Bread because it got mixed reviews from the other HBinFive bakers. However, the ingredients were just too tantalizing to pass up.  It is made with pear puree, ground coffee, cardamom, vanilla, brown sugar and yogurt. It sounded like it would be great with coffee.  I’m not a big breakfast person so anything I can do to spice things up in the morning is a good thing. 

The dough is really wet and has the tendency to spread sideways so I baked it in a nonstick loaf pan instead of freeform on a baking stone as the recipe suggests.

turkish-pear-coffee-bread 019

 

The flavors in the bread were not that pronounced. I couldn’t even taste the coffee flavor. It’s a little bit crunchy due to the egg wash and raw sugar glaze.  Even though I generally prefer a soft crust on loaf breads, I like the crunchy texture of this bread.

turkish-pear-coffee-bread 010

 

I’m sure this Turkish Pear Coffee Bread will taste good with coffee, but I decided to serve it with tea so I could use the tea set my Dad gave me.

turkish-pear-coffee-bread 007

 

I served the bread warm with homemade Ginger Cardamom Pear Butter. It paired really well with the Pear Butter.  I really enjoyed it.  I’m glad I decided to make it.

turkish-pear-coffee-bread 026

 

Here is the Pear Butter recipe in case you would like to enjoy it with the Healthy Bread in Five Minutes Turkish Pear Coffee Bread or another bread.  The recipe is really easy and doesn’t require any special canning equipment.  It is refrigerated rather than being canned for long term storage. The recipe calls for cardamom but if you’re not a fan of cardamom, you can substitute cinnamon.  I happen to like cardamom so I always look for ways to use it, especially with pears.

Ginger Cardamom Pear Butter

Makes: 1 1/4 cups

Recipe from Cooking Light, November 2006 Edition

Ingredients:

4  cups  coarsely chopped peeled Bartlett pear (about 2 1/2 pounds)
1  cup  sugar
1  teaspoon  ground cardamom
2  teaspoons  minced peeled fresh ginger
2  teaspoons  fresh lemon juice
1/4  teaspoon  salt

Directions:

Place pears in a blender or food processor; process until smooth. Combine pear puree, sugar, and remaining ingredients in a medium sauté pan over medium heat; bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Cook 3 hours or until mixture is thick.

Enjoy!

 


 

About the HBinFive Baking Group
The HBinFive Baking Group, started by Michelle of Big Black Dogs, is baking through all of the breads in the Healthy Bread in Five Minutes book. For more information on the HBinFive baking group, check out BigBlackDog.

 
 
 You might enjoy these additional bread-making resources:

No comments:

Post a Comment