Sunday 14 November 2010

Tabbouleh Bread with Parsley, Garlic and Bulgur

Heathy Bread in Five Minutes Tabbouleh Bread is one of the breads the HBinFive Bakers made for the November 1st Bread Braid.  I didn’t have time to make it for that bread braid so I saved it for the November 15th Bread Braid.

I’ve talked about the benefits of the Artisan Bread in Five Minutes and Healthy Bread in Five Minutes methods before, but I must say that this method really came in handy this weekend. I wanted to make this bread, but I had to work. I’m a project manager and this weekend, we implemented an Intranet project that I’ve been working on for the past four months. 

I was pretty stressed about this implementation because the days leading up to it were filled with mishaps that I could not control. On Wednesday, my phone lines went down. I thought great, I hope this doesn’t happen Friday night. Fortunately, they were back up in a couple of hours. The next day, the server went down at work.  Things were starting to get a little bit weird at this point, but it was only down for a short time so I didn’t worry about it.  Then, Friday afternoon, my electricity just went out.  Just like that.  No storms.  Just all of a sudden, no power.

The good thing about the electricity going out was that it gave me some downtime and I was able to mix up the Tabbouleh dough.  We implemented the project Friday night and worked out the bugs on Saturday. In between testing, I was able to bake the bread. So if you think you don’t have time to bake bread, them I’m here to prove you wrong because I managed to bake this bread even with my crazy schedule this weekend. 

tabbouleh-bread 012

As the title suggests, the dominant flavors in this bread are bulgur wheat, garlic, parsley, and lemon zest.  I used more garlic than the recipe called for and added a little more lemon zest.  Some of the other bakers had mentioned that this bread wasn’t as flavorful as they would’ve thought so I decided to up the ante a little bit.  I think it worked.  I liked the flavor.

I decided to bake this bread in my La Cloche.  I’ve baked other yeast breads in it but, I hadn’t tried a no knead bread.  To bake it, I just took one pound of dough out of the refrigerator and shaped it into a ball.  Then I placed the dough ball in the La Cloche sprinkled with cornmeal, covered it, and let it rise for about an hour and a half.

tabbouleh-bread 001

 

Then I scored the loaf in a pound pattern

tabbouleh-bread 002

 

And baked it in the preheated oven at 450 degrees.

tabbouleh-bread 004

 

I love the colors of this Tabbouleh Bread.  It’s golden brown with flecks of green and brown. 

tabbouleh-bread 008

 

It’s actually quite tasty as well.  The crust was nice and crunchy because of baking it in the La Cloche.  The inside was delicious as well. I ate some warm with butter. 

tabbouleh-bread 018

 

I made rolls with the remaining dough.

tabbouleh-bread 028

This bread has been YeastSpotted. Please visit Wild Yeast to view all of the lovely breads in the roundup.

We had the rolls with homemade Spiced Pumpkin Soup. I’ll be sharing that recipe in another post. 

tabbouleh-bread 032

My boyfriend said this one was a keeper.  He liked the rolls and the soup. So did I.

 


About the HBinFive Baking Group
The HBinFive Baking Group, started by Michelle of Big Black Dogs, is baking through all of the breads in the Healthy Bread in Five Minutes book. For more information on the HBinFive baking group, check out BigBlackDog.

 

Additional bread-making resources:

No comments:

Post a Comment