Wednesday 1 September 2010

Whole Wheat Dough Made Three Ways

One dough; a variety of breads. That's what I like about the Healthy Bread in Five Minutes method.  All you do is make up a batch of dough, store it in the refrigerator and take it out when you want to bake some bread.

For the September 1st HBinFive Bread Braid, we made three breads using the 100% Whole Wheat Bread, Plain and Simple dough: Msemmen (Algerian Flatbread), Zucchini Flatbread and a loaf of 100% Whole Wheat Bread. I made half a batch of the dough with home-milled whole wheat flour and used that for the flatbreads. Then I made another half batch with spelt flour and used it to make the 100% whole wheat loaf.  All three breads were great!

The first bread I made was the 100% Whole Wheat Spelt Bread.  This is one of the best whole wheat breads I've had.  The spelt gave it a wonderful flavor. It wasn't flat at all in height or taste.


For the past few days, I've been enjoying this whole wheat spelt bread for breakfast toasted with some homemade cultured butter.  Delicious!



The next bread I made was the Msemmen (Algerian Flatbread).  I've already posted about it, but I thought I would share it again here since it is such a unique and wonderful bread. I'll definitely be making this one again.



With the remaining 1+ pound of dough, I made the Zucchini Flatbread.  Boy, was it delicious!  The recipe for this bread is found on page 208 of the Healthy Bread in Five Minutes book.


It's like a pizza with healthy and delicious ingredients!  Who ever heard of a pizza topped with zucchini?  Not me, but it was so tasty.  The addition of the parsley, scallions, pine nuts, and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese was outstanding.  The flavors blended really well and complimented the whole wheat dough.


As I mentioned, I made the flatbreads with the 100% Whole Wheat Bread, Plain and Simple dough (recipe found on page 79 of the Healthy Bread in Five Minutes book), but you can also use the 100% Whole Wheat Bread with Olive Oil recipe, or the Healthy Bread in Five Minutes Master Recipe for the dough.


Check out BigBlackDog to see all of the breads in the September 1st Bread Braid roundup. 

Happy Baking!
Cathy




About the HBinFive Baking Group

The HBinFive Baking Group, started by Michelle of Big Black Dogs, is baking through all of the breads in the Healthy Bread in Five Minutes book. For more information on the HBinFive baking group, check out BigBlackDog.




No comments:

Post a Comment