Thursday 23 September 2010

Sourdough Strata with Tomatoes and Greens: Grow Your Own #45

 Grow Your Own #45 is being hosted by Heather at girlichef this month.


Grow your own is an event that celebrates and shares what you have grown, foraged, hunted, or fished.  The dish should use at least one item from your very own garden or farm. Your garden doesn’t have to be big, container gardens are welcome! If you hunted or foraged, those items are also eligible.



I've been growing a bunch of tomatoes and herbs in my container garden and straw bale garden this year so I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to use them on some pizza.

Then, I saw this Sourdough Strata with Tomatoes and Greens featured in the October Issue of Food Network Magazine and that completely changed my mind.  I knew I had to make it.

It just so happens that we made Sourdough Rye Bread for the Mellow Bakers this month.  Perfect, I thought and put it on my schedule. Now, all I had to do was wait for the tomatoes to ripen.


Thankfully, some of the Roma Tomatoes from my container garden did ripen in time.

So I took these tomatoes ...


and added some English Tyme


and some Lemon Tyme


Then tossed the herbs with the tomatoes and olive oil, and roasted them.


Next, I took this delicious Sourdough Rye Bread with Walnuts ....


And, cut it into 1-inch cubes, then tossed the bread cubes with milk, eggs, cheese, baby spinach and topped it with the roasted tomatoes.  Then the casserole went in the refrigerator overnight.


The next day, I topped it with Parmesan cheese and baked it. 


From my garden to the table...


Strata is a breakfast casserole, but I enjoyed it for dinner. It was delicious! 



Be sure to check out girlichef at the beginning of October to view the roundup.

Happy Baking!
Cathy

Here are some additional bread-making resources:

No comments:

Post a Comment