Saturday 31 July 2010

Noon Rogani: Artisan Bread Bakers

I was delighted when I found out that Noon Rogani was the July Bread of the Month (BOM) for the Artisan Bread Bakers.  I had seen this bread in a KAF email and thought it was a very interesting and unique bread so I put it on my list to try.  I just hadn't gotten around to it yet.  It's been a busy month but I finally got the chance to make this bread.  I'm so glad.  It's a fun, beautiful and delicious bread.



Noon Rogani
Recipe from:
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/noon-rogani-recipe 

Makes: 1 10-12" Spiral Loaf

This loaf is formed from a 5 foot long rope of cinnamon filled dough, coiled to resemble a turban.

Ingredients:

  • 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon instant yeast
  • 1 1/4 cups warm water
    2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Filling & Topping

  • 4 tablespoons melted butter, divided
  • 1/4 - 1/2 cup sugar to taste
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon

In a large bowl or your bread machine bucket mix the flour, water and yeast to a thick shaggy mass. Let rest for 10 minutes.



After 10 minutes add the salt, sugar and vegetable oil and extra flour as needed to create a dough that is not sticky to the touch but still slightly tacky. Knead by hand, mixer or bread machine until the dough is smooth and elastic.



Place the dough in a greased bowl and cover. Let rise until puffy, about 30-40 minutes.



Turn out the dough onto a well floured surface. Gently deflate and shape into a square pillow.



Roll the square to approximately 23" square and 1/8th" thick.



Mix the cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl. Brush the dough with half of the melted butter. Generously sprinkle on the cinnamon sugar mixture. Use more or less sugar to taste.

Roll up the dough jelly roll style.



Pinch the seam well and continue to roll the rope until it reaches a length of 5 feet.



Don't worry about small tears in the outer layers, that is normal.  If you look closely in this photo, you'll see a tear in the dough on the left side.  They said not to worry about it, so I didn't.



Twist the entire length of the rope similar to wringing out a towel, but much more loosely.   This part was a little bit tricky. To make sure I rolled it to 5 feet, I took the rope and held it up to myself.  I'm about 5' 5" so that was my gauge.  The dough snapped back a little bit so it probably wasn't quite 5 feet, but I decided not to worry about it.


On a greased baking sheet or parchment paper, coil the rope into a round spiral, turban style.



Don't wrap too tightly, keep the coil slightly loose to aid in the final rise.



Brush with the remaining melted butter.



Set aside, covered, to rise until puffy 40-45 minutes.



Bake the loaf in a preheated 400°F oven for 30-45 minutes or until deeply golden brown. Cool slightly on a rack before serving.


I made the bread last night and we had it for breakfast today before going tubing down the river.  It is delicious by itself but especially warm with butter. All you do is break off part of the coil and eat it.  It made for a delicious and no fuss breakfast.
 
Some of the other bakers glazed their bread to make it more like a giant cinnamon roll, but it didn't need a glaze.  I think it tastes great "as is".  Plus, I didn't want to glaze it because I had something in mind for the rest of the loaf.   Check out this delicious Peach Cobbler made with Noon Rogani bread cubes.


BOM (Bread of the Month) is a virtual bread-baking party hosted by Phyl
Of Cabbages & King Cakes


Happy Baking!
Cathy


No comments:

Post a Comment