Monday 5 July 2010

Making Jam: Blackberry Jam using pectin

This past weekend, we went tubing down a river in the North Georgia mountains and stopped by one of my favorite farms on the way back. I made off with a bunch of fruits and vegetables.  I really went to get peaches, but the blackberries looked so good, I just couldn't pass them up.

I was going to make blackberry cobbler, but the blackberry jam I made last year was such a hit with everyone that I decided to make some more. I opted to make this batch of blackberry jam using liquid pectin rather than using the long-cook method (without pectin) because I also made salsa and marinara from my homegrown tomatoes and I was a little bit tired of standing in the kitchen.




Jams Made with Berries

Recipe from Keeping the Harvest: Discover the Homegrown Goodness of Putting Up Your Own Fruits, Vegetables & Herbs by Nancy Chioffi and Gretchen Mead

Yields: 8 or 9 half-pint jars

The neat thing about this recipe is that it can be used to make jam with blackberries, boysenberries, dewberries, strawberries, youngberries, loganberries, red raspberries, or gooseberries.



Ingredients:

  • 4 cups crushed fruit - about 2 quarts fully ripe berries (or 3 3/4 cups fruit and 1/4 cup lemon juice for strawberries or other berries that lack tartness)
  • 7 cups sugar (6 1/2 cups for loganberries and red raspberries; 6 cups for gooseberries)
  • 1 pouch liquid pectin

Directions:

To begin with, I removed some of the seeds using my Foodmill.




Measure 4 cups fruit (or fruit and lemon juice) into large saucepan and add sugar.



 
Mix well.


Bring to a full, rolling boil over high heat and boil exactly 1 minute, stirring constantly.



Remove from heat and stir in liquid pectin at once.




Skim off foam with metal spoon, then stir and skim for 5 minutes to cool slightly and prevent fruit from floating.



Ladle into hot, sterilized jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace, and seal.



Process in a hot-water bath for 5 minutes, up to 1,000 feet altitude.  I did it for 10 minutes because we are slightly above 1,000 feet altitude.  If you live in a higher altitude or need more detailed instructions on water-bath canning, please refer to the instructions at the National Center for Home Preservation.
 

Remove canner lid.  Wait 5 minutes, then remove jars, let them sit on the counter overnight, then store.



Happy Canning and Baking!
Cathy


Here are some of the references I use in my canning adventures. You might enjoy them as well:

No comments:

Post a Comment