Friday 25 November 2011

Pumpkin Yeast Rolls and BBD #44

Pumpkin Knot Yeast Rolls

The theme for Bread Baking Day #44 is Autumn Flavors. Sarah of Winged Snail is the host for this month’s event and she empowered us to make breads with root vegetables, pumpkin, squash, cinnamon, nuts and any other flavors that remind us of autumn.

Pumpkin is one of my favorite flavors for Fall so I’m submitting these Pumpkin Yeast Rolls. These rolls can be shaped in a variety of shapes. I increased the recipe so I had a bunch of rolls. I shaped some of the rolls into single knots, some as crescent rolls, and some as butterfly rolls. I took photos of the process so you can learn how to shape these rolls as well.

The Artisan Bread Bakers made Pumpkin Knot Yeast Rolls for the October BOM, but I decided to wait until November to make these rolls so I could bring them for our Thanksgiving meal. I brought Pumpkin Crescent Rolls to the family get together several years ago and my family loved them so I was pretty sure they would love these Pumpkin Yeast Rolls as well. Turns out, I was right. I made 32 rolls and they all disappeared.

  

Pumpkin Yeast Rolls Recipe

Makes: 24 Rolls

Use the Ingredient calculator to adjust the list of ingredients if you want to increase or decrease the amount of rolls.

Adapted from: Pumpkin Knot Yeast Rolls on Food.com

View a photo tutorial on shaping knotted rolls, crescent rolls and butterfly rolls

You might also enjoy viewing a tutorial on shaping other types of rolls

Ingredients:

Rolls:

  • 1/2 ounce active dry yeast (2 .25 oz packets)
  • 1 cup warm 2% low-fat milk (110-115 degrees F)
  • 1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin puree (NOT pie filling) I used roasted pumpkin puree
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 5 1/2-6 cups flour, divided (I used all-purpose flour)

Egg Wash:

  • 1 tablespoon cold water
  • 1 egg

Directions:

In a large mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm milk. Add butter, sugar, pumpkin, 2 eggs, salt, and 3 cups flour. Stir in enough of remaining flour to form a soft dough.

pumpkin-knot-yeast-rolls_1575

 

Turn onto a lightly floured surface----knead until smooth and elastic-like (should take about 5-7 minutes). Add additional flour as needed.

pumpkin-knot-yeast-rolls_1576 

Place in a large greased bowl and turn once to grease top. Cover with a clean towel or paper towels and let rise in a warm place until doubled---takes about 1 hour. I placed the bowl in the refrigerator overnight.

pumpkin-knot-yeast-rolls_1577

 

The next day, I took the dough out of the refrigerator and divided the dough into 4 big balls. I covered the balls and let them warm up to room temperature before proceeding.

pumpkin-knot-yeast-rolls_1581

 

Once the balls had warmed to room temperature, I shaped each portion into 8 rolls using the shaping techniques described in my Tutorial on Shaping Different Types of Rolls. I made 16 knots, 8 crescent rolls and 8 butterfly rolls.

You can follow my tutorial to make three different types of rolls. Or, follow the process below to make Pumpkin Knot Yeast Rolls.

Punch dough down; turn onto lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape each portion into 12 balls (so you'll have 24 balls total). Roll each ball into about a 10" rope; tie into a knot and tuck ends under. Place 2 inches apart on greased baking sheets. Cover the rolls with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled---takes about 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together water and 1 remaining egg. When rolls are done doubling again, brush them with the egg wash.

pumpkin-knot-yeast-rolls_1614

 

Bake at 350 for about 15-16 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Remove and serve or place on wire racks to cool slightly.

Serve these rolls warm or cooled with butter or honey butter (or jam) if you like.

pumpkin-knot-yeast-rolls_1617

 

I served these Pumpkin Yeast Rolls for Thanksgiving Dinner. They were are big hit. You don’t even taste the pumpkin. In fact, if I hadn’t mentioned it, my family would never have known the rolls had pumpkin in them. They gobbled ‘em up.

 

image

 

 

Thanks to Sarah of Winged Snail for choosing Autumn Flavors as the theme for BBD (Bread Baking Day) #44.

 

 

 

 

 

Thanks also to Phyl of the Artisan Bread Bakers for choosing these Pumpkin Yeast Rolls for the October BOM even though I didn’t make them until November.

 

Happy Baking!

Cathy

No comments:

Post a Comment