Thursday 30 December 2010

Granola Bread with Dried Fruit: BBD #35

For Bread Baking Day (BBD #35), the bread of choice is Bread with Dried Fruits. I didn’t want to make another Holiday bread with fruit in it so I almost skipped this one, but you know me… I can never pass up a chance to bake bread.

I was having a little trouble deciding what bread to make, then, I got this neat little bread book from my sister for Christmas. Of course, now I want to bake all of the breads in it.

This Granola Bread seemed really interesting and healthy so I decided to make it for Bread Baking Day #35. I didn’t have any plain granola so I just added some cereal with granola, wheat flakes and raisins. I also added dried apricots.  It makes a healthy and delicious bread. I enjoyed it toasted with butter for breakfast.

granola-bread 048 

Granola Bread with Dried Fruit

Source: Making Fresh Bread from your oven to your table from LOVE FOOD

Makes: 1 Loaf

Ingredients:

  • Generous 2 1/2 cups white bread flour
  • 3/4 cup whole wheat bread flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • Generous 1 1/4 cups unsweetened granola
  • 3 tbsp nonfat dry milk
  • 1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
  • 1 cup lukewarm water
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • 1/3 cup chopped plumped dried apricots

 

Directions:

Pour boiling water over the dried apricots and let them plump for awhile.  I let the bowl sit for about an hour.

granola-bread 003

Sift both types of flour and the salt together into a bowl and tip in the bran from the sifter.  Stir in the granola, milk and yeast. 

granola-bread 004

Make a well in the center and pour in the lukewarm water, oil, and honey.

granola-bread 005

Stir well with a wooden spoon until the dough begins to come together, then knead with your hands until it leaves the side of the bowl. 

granola-bread 006

Turn out onto a lightly floured counter and knead well for 5 minutes. 

granola-bread 007

Knead in the apricots and continue to knead for 5 minutes more, until the dough is smooth and elastic.

granola-bread 008

Brush a bowl with oil or spray it with spray oil.  Shape the dough into a ball, put it into the bowl, and put the bowl into a plastic bag or cover with a damp dish towel. 

granola-bread 010

Let rise in a warm place for 1 hour, until the dough has doubled in volume.

granola-bread 011

Brush a baking sheet with oil. Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and punch down with your fist.  With lightly floured hands, shape the dough into a round and place on the prepared baking sheet.

granola-bread 012

Cut a cross in the top of the loaf.

granola-bread 013

Cover the loaf with plastic wrap or a damp dish towel and let rise in a warm place for 30-40 minutes.

granola-bread 015

granola-bread 016

Preheat the oven to 400º F/200º C. Bake the loaf for 30-35 minutes, until golden brown and it sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom with your knuckles. 

granola-bread 017

Transfer to a wire rack to cool.  I know, this isn’t a wire rack.  I forgot to take a photo of that part.

granola-bread 034

 

Slice and enjoy!

granola-bread 052

 

Thanks for visiting The Bread Experience Bread Baking Blog. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will join me again soon.

 

Umm Mymoonah of Taste of Pearl City is hosting BreadBakingDay #35. Be sure to check out all of the fabulous breads in the BBD #35 Roundup.

image 

BreadBakingDay was created by Zorra of http://kochtopf.twoday.net/stories/4124192/.  Read more about Bread Baking Day and access the previous roundups on her blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment