Thursday 9 September 2010

Soft Butter CloverLeaf Rolls: Mellow Bakers

I love yeast rolls and so do my sons.  I was really looking forward to making these Soft Butter Rolls for the Mellow Bakers' group this month because I haven't made yeast rolls in awhile.

These Soft Butter Rolls go down really easy and are really easy to make. Easy was just what I needed for Labor Day Weekend.


I served these rolls this past weekend when my youngest son came home from college. We had Italian Pot Roast with vegetables in the crock pot, homemade applesauce and these delicious rolls.  Comfort food at it's finest!


Soft Butter Rolls
Makes: 24 Rolls

The recipe for these delicious rolls is from Bread: A Baker’s Book of Techniques and Recipes by Jeffrey Hamelman.

Ingredients:

  • 1 lb, 1.6 oz (4 cups) bread flour
  • 8.1 oz, (1 cup) water
  • 1.8 oz, 1 egg
  • 1.4 oz (3 tablespoons) butter, soft
  • 1.1 oz (2 tablespoons) sugar
  • .9 oz (3 tablespoons) dry milk (powdered milk)
  • .4 oz (2 teaspoons) salt
  • .09 oz, (1 teaspoon) instant dry yeast

 

Hamelman's recipe reminds me of my favorite yeast roll recipe.  You can find my recipe here.

The recipes are very similar but they do have a few differences. Here is a comparison of both recipes:

Butter: Hamelman 3T; my recipe 2 T
Bread flour: Hamelman 4 cups; mine 3 1/4
Sugar: Hamelman 2T; my recipe 1/4 cup
Dry Milk Powder: Hamelman 3T; mine does not include any dry milk
Salt: Hamelman 2 tsp; my recipe 1 tsp
Yeast: Hamelman 1 tsp; mine calls for 3 tsp of bread machine or active dry yeast.
Egg: 1 for both recipes

The dough for Hamelman's recipe is made using a mixer; but my recipe uses a bread machine to do the mixing and kneading and then you shape the rolls by hand.  His recipe makes 24 rolls (although I only made 21) and my recipe makes 16 rolls although I've never gotten but about 14 at the most from my recipe.  We like big rolls.

I've only made the regular roll shape with my recipe, but with Hamelman's recipe, you can make cloverleaf rolls, square rolls, braids, hamburger buns or cinnamon-raisin bread.  I was really tempted to make the cinnamon-raisin bread but I decided to make cloverleaf rolls instead. 

Directions for making the Soft Butter Rolls:

Mix all of the ingredients, either by hand or using a mixer, until the gluten network is moderately developed.



Place the dough in a clean bowl and cover it with plastic wrap.


Let the dough ferment for 1 hour.  I let mine ferment a little bit longer while I was doing other things.



Divide the dough into 1.33-ounce portions - about 24.



Divide each piece into thirds.  Lightly round the pieces and place them in groups of 3 into greased muffin cups. Cover the rolls and proof until light to the tough.




Brush with melted butter and bake at 400 degrees F for about 15 minutes.  My oven is hot so I turned it down to 375 so the rolls wouldn't burn.



Brush the rolls once again as they come out of the oven.


These delicious soft butter rolls have been YeastSpotted. Please visit Wild Yeast to view all of the lovely breads in the roundup.


Since I only have one muffin tin with 12 cups, I made 12 cloverleaf rolls and formed the rest of the dough into rounds and baked them on a baking sheet.


The cloverleaf rolls were really good but the round rolls were divine!  Definitely our favorite.



Thanks for joining me in the bread-baking blog. Be sure to check out what all the other bakers have been up to in the Mellow Bakers group.

Happy Baking!
Cathy


The Mellow Bakers group was started by Paul at Yumarama. We’re baking breads from Bread: A Baker’s Book of Techniques and Recipes by Jeffrey Hamelman.

No comments:

Post a Comment