Wednesday 15 September 2010

Whole Grain Maple Oatmeal Muffins: HBinFive

Oatmeal and maple.  What a great combination.  Add some whole wheat flour, cinnamon and buttermilk and you've got a healthy and delicious bread.

I've been looking forward to making the Healthy Bread in Five Minutes Maple Oatmeal Bread all month.  I almost missed the deadline for the HBinFive Sep 15th Bread Braid, but I finally found some time to mix up the dough. With the Healthy Bread in Five Minutes method, it doesn't take long.  Just mix it up a day or two before you want to bake, let it rest on the counter for a couple of hours, then put the dough in the refrigerator until you're ready to use it. When you're ready to bake, all you have to do is take some of the dough out of the refrigerator, shape it and bake it.

I decided to make muffins for a quick and easy breakfast.  The flavors just sounded so comforting and healthy. I'm not a big breakfast person but a warm muffin with homemade butter and some Gala apples from my favorite farm... Now, that's what I'm talking about!


When I told my boyfriend I was making these Maple Oatmeal Muffins, he said "Mmmm... don't forget who your taste tester is?"  Lol. This is the same man who keeps teasing me about making him fat, but, when it comes to bread, he loves it as much as I do and that's a good thing. 


The crust was a little bit crunchy due to the egg wash and raw sugar glaze, plus, I think I baked them just a wee bit too long, but they still tasted pretty good this morning for breakfast.

Look for the recipe for the Maple Oatmeal Bread (or muffins) on page 145 and 146 of the Healthy Bread in Five Minutes book.

I used freshly milled white whole wheat flour for this dough. I mill my whole wheat flour with an electric grain mill. I would like a hand-cranked grain mill as a backup and for the beauty and romance of it, but I really enjoy and have gotten spoiled by my electric Wonder Mill.


If you would like more information on home-milling, check out these resources:

Thanks for joining me in the bread-baking blog.  These muffins have been YeastSpotted. Please visit Wild Yeast to view all of the lovely breads in the roundup.


Also, be sure to check out BigBlackDog to see all of the breads in the September 15th Bread Braid roundup. 



About the HBinFive Baking Group

The HBinFive Baking Group, started by Michelle of Big Black Dogs, is baking through all of the breads in the Healthy Bread in Five Minutes book. For more information on the HBinFive baking group, check out BigBlackDog.

No comments:

Post a Comment