Thursday 7 January 2010

Making Jam: Tangerine Marmalade

I had some tangerines sitting in the fruit bowl on my kitchen table that nobody was eating so I made Tangerine Marmalade out of them.  I couldn't let them go to waste!  If my sons don't eat the fruit fast enough, then I grab it and make jam out of it.  It's an unwritten rule.  Actually, I just made it up, but it sounds good doesn't it.

This marmalade is very easy to make.  Most of the work can be done by the food processor unless of course you just want to do it by hand.  I just recently got a decent food processor and now I'm not sure how I did without it.  This tangerine marmalade is sweet and goes really well with just about any bread I've tried it on so far.  It's fast becoming one of my favorites along with citrus marmalade. Something about citrus...

Easy Tangerine Marmalade
Makes: About Eight 8oz Jars



I searched for a recipe for tangerine marmalade in the blogosphere and finally found what I was looking for here http://dorisandjillycook.com/2009/12/16/tangerine-marmalade.  Thanks Doris and Jilly!  I never knew goats could make such great jam.

  • 3 pounds tangerines
  • 2 small lemons
  • 1 1/2 c. water
  • 4 1/2 c. sugar (I added about 5 1/2 cups so it wouldn't be so bitter.)


Chop the tangerines, peel and all. I used a food processor to do this but cut it into quarters and removed the seeds first.  Repeat with the lemons. Combine the tangerines, lemons, and water in a pot.



Bring rapidly to a boil; simmer for 5 minutes.


Remove from the heat, cover, and let sit 12 to 18 hours.  Okay.  It's off to bed now.  We'll check on these babies in the morning.

The next day, add the sugar and bring rapidly to a boil.
 



In the meantime, prepare your jars and lids for water-bath canning.  For detailed instructions on water-bath canning, please refer to the instructions on the National Center for Home Preservation's site. 

Stir constantly while bringing the mixture almost to the gelling point.


Transfer to clean, sterilized jars and screw on two-piece lids.




 



Process in a boiling-water bath for 15 minutes, up to 1,000 feet altitude.  If you live in a higher altitude or need more detailed instructions on water-bath canning, please refer to the instructions on this site: National Center for Home Preservation. 

Remove from water and let the jars sit on the counter overnight until they seal.  If any jars do not seal, put them in the refrigerator.



Once the jars have cooled and completed sealed, move them to a cool dry place for storage.  Or give some away like I did.  I kept the big one for myself though.

After I made this recipe, I learned about another recipe that is a little more time-consuming, but makes a very beautiful and bitter marmalade.  I hope to try that one in the near future.  It looks so beautiful, I can't resist.  Well, I suppose I could, but I don't want to.

Click for tigress can jam food blog challengeBTW, beginning this month, I'll be participating in the tigress' Can Jam.  We'll be making jams every month for a whole year.  You can follow my progress on this blog.


The flavor for the month of January is citrus but this Tangerine Marmalade is not my post for the challenge.  You'll have to wait to find out what I plan to make.  Please check back.  We'll be posting on the 22nd of January.

Happy Canning and Baking!
Cathy


Here are some of the references I use in my canning adventures. You might enjoy them as well:
Here are some delicious breads that go well with this jam!

No comments:

Post a Comment