Saturday 3 March 2012

Slow Roasted Tomato Soup

This Slow Roasted Tomato Soup is made with tomatoes from my garden that I slow roasted and froze last summer.

I planted a bunch of tomato plants last year and ended up with a pretty good harvest. After making marinara, salsa, soup, and tomato bread, I ran out of ideas so I ended up slow roasting a bunch and freezing several containers for later use.

I hope to have a good harvest again this year. I just started a bunch of tomato plants and they all seem to be sprouting really well under the glow light in my garage. 

As I was thinking about what I would make with the tomatoes from this year’s harvest, I realized I needed to use some of my slow roasted tomatoes from last year. 

slow-roasted-tomato-soup002

 

I found this simple and delicious soup recipe on Kitchen Parade.

 

Slow Roasted Tomato Soup

slow-roasted-tomato-soup007

Adapted from: Kitchen Parade

Ingredients:

  • 8 cups (4 cans) chicken broth
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 large onion, diced small
  • 6 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 1/2 cups slow-roasted tomatoes
  • Salt & pepper to taste
  • Thyme to garnish, optional

 

Directions:

Bring broth to boil in the microwave.

Meanwhile, melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add sugar, onion and garlic and sauté until softened but not browning.

slow-roasted-tomato-soup003

 

Stir in the slow-roasted tomatoes and hot broth and return to a boil.  I added 3 cans of broth at this point. You can also add some half ‘n’ half, but I decided not to use any. 

 

slow-roasted-tomato-soup006

 

I let the soup cool down a bit, then puréed it in the blender.  It was pretty thick so I placed the purée back in the stock pot and added a couple more cups of chicken broth.  Then it was ready to eat. 

slow-roasted-tomato-soup027

I like this soup. Since I already had the roasted tomatoes, it was really easy to prepare. It makes a good weeknight dinner. I served it with the Biscott Picanti.

 

Here are some of the other dishes I made with my tomato harvest from last year.  I’m looking forward to making more this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment