Wednesday 31 August 2011

Peach and Lavender Butter

When my youngest son and I visited our favorite farm a few weeks ago, I bought two different varieties of peaches – Jersey Queen and Sun Prince. Both varieties were juicy and delicious, but as my son so aptly put it, the Jersey Queens were the really sweet ones and the “jammable” ones were the Sun Princes. We enjoyed eating both varieties, but I used most of the Sun Prince peaches for canning.

I started by making a double batch of Lord Grey Peach Preserves.  These preserves are so good I’ve been eating them by the spoonful. I’ve also been giving some away so I don’t eat them all myself.

Even after making a double batch of preserves and sending a bag of peaches with my son when he went back to school, I still had a bunch of peaches left.  I decided it was time to make peach butter.

peach-lavender-butter 009

I found this recipe for Peach and Lavender Butter and had just enough peaches to make it.  Last year, I made Peach and Lavender Jam and I really liked the lavender flavor so I was pretty much sold on this recipe before I even tried it.

 

Peach and Lavender Butter Recipe

Yield: About Six 8oz (250 mL) Jars

Recipe from: Homemade Living: Canning & Preserving with Ashley English: All You Need to Know to Make Jams, Jellies, Pickles, Chutneys & More

Ingredients:

  • 3 pounds peaches (peeled, pitted, and chopped roughly)
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons fresh or dried lavender buds (I used dry)
  • 3 tablespoons bottled lemon juice
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon zest
  • 3 cups granulated sugar

 

Directions:

  1. Bring 1/3 cup water to boil.  Place the lavender buds in a small bowl.  Pour in the boiling water; cover, and steep for 15 minutes. Strain the liquid through a mesh sieve and set aside. Be sure to keep the strained lavender buds. 

    peach-lavender-butter 001

  2. Prepare canner, jars and lids.  For more information, visit the National Center for Home Preservation web site.

  3. Combine the lavender water, peaches, lemon juice, and zest in a heavy, stainless steel pot. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.  Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes , until the peach mixture thickens and clings to a spoon.  Remove from heat.

    peach-lavender-butter 003

  4. Once the peach mixture has cooled slightly, puree it in the blender or food processor or press it through a food mill or fine-meshed sieve.  Return the puree to the pot, add the sugar and lavender buds and bring the mixture to a gentle boil over medium-high heat. 

    peach-lavender-butter 004

  5. Stir the mixture continually until the sugar is completely dissolved. Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 25 minutes.

    peach-lavender-butter 006

     

  6. Ladle peach butter into clean, hot 1/2-pint jars. Wipe rims, seal, and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. 

    Refer to the National Center for Home Preservation web site for more info on canning and to check processing times for high altitudes. 

  7. Remove the canner lid and let the jars rest in the canner for 5 minutes.
  8. Remove the jars from the canner and place on the counter to cool. Let them rest overnight, then move to a cool, dry place for storage.

    peach-lavender-butter 007

 

Here are some of the references I use in my canning adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment