Wednesday 22 December 2010

Homemade Vegetable Soup and Rolls

The cold and windy weather we’ve had recently made me crave the warmth of some comfort food. I was down to my last container of homemade vegetable soup that I had frozen a few months ago.  I also needed to clean out the vegetables in my refrigerator before they went bad.  So, all this meant it was time to make some more soup.

One of the things I really like about this soup is that it’s hard to mess it up.  I start with some basic ingredients and go from there.  This time, in addition to the basic ingredients, I added some special ingredients from my canning adventures.  I had a little bit of Roasted Red Pepper Spread and Roasted Vegetable Pasta Sauce sitting in my refrigerator that I didn’t want to go bad so I added them to the soup for an extra kick.  I must say this is some of the best soup I’ve ever made. I served it with my favorite yeast rolls.

vegetable-soup-dinner-roll 010

 

Homemade Vegetable Soup

Basic Ingredients:

3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1-1/2 cups chopped onions
1-1/2 cups chopped carrots
1-1/2 cups chopped celery
2-3 cups cubed unpeeled potatoes
5-6 cans (14-1/2 oz each) low sodium beef broth (or more as desired)
1 package (15 oz) marinara sauce (or more if desired) I use homemade marinara
Dash of dried thyme leaves
Dash each of salt and ground black pepper

Additional ingredients:

10 oz bag of frozen corn
8 oz bag of frozen green beans
2 or 3 cans of kidney beans and/or great northern beans
2 cans diced tomatoes
Dash of dried Italian seasoning
Dash of dried Basil leaves

My secret ingredients:

Chili powder to taste
Crushed red pepper flakes

As a variation, this time I also added:
2 tablespoons Roasted Red Pepper Spread
2 tablespoons Roasted Vegetable Pasta Sauce

 

Directions:

Heat oil in large stock pot.  Add onions, carrots and celery; cook 5 minutes or until tender-crisp, stirring occasionally.

Add remaining ingredients; stir.  Simmer 30 to 40 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.

Enjoy!  The basic recipe makes about 12 servings; 1 cup each. 

My version makes a lot more than 12 servings.  This is what I froze to enjoy during the winter.

 

vegetable-soup-dinner-roll 013

 

Thanks for joining me in the bread-baking blog.  Remember soup goes really well with bread. 

When you're in the mood to bake some bread, here are some bread-making resources:

No comments:

Post a Comment