Monday 8 March 2010

Pesto & Pine Nut Focaccia: HBinFive

For the first bread of the March 15th HBinFive Bread Braid, I made Focaccia using the Healthy Bread In Five Minutes Pesto & Pine Nut Bread dough.  My avocado wasn’t quite ripe enough to make the Avocado bread yet so I started with this one.

This dough had such a wonderful flavor that I thought it deserved to be made into something different than just a freeform loaf.  Pesto and pine nuts seemed like the perfect combination for Focaccia.  I used jarred pesto this time, but as soon as my basil plant starts producing, I plan to make some fresh basil pesto.  Can’t wait!

HBinFive-Pesto-Pine-Nut 040

The dough is made with a mixture of white whole wheat flour, spelt flour and all-purpose flour. I used freshly-milled flour made from organic white winter wheat.

I’m really enjoying milling my own grains.  The flavor is so much better and it’s better for you. I still use commercial all-purpose flour, but I try to mill my own whole wheat whenever possible. I used Arrowhead Mills Organic Spelt flour this time (it’s really good), however, I found some organic spelt grains at the farmer’s market so I hope to be milling my own spelt flour soon.  

I didn’t add any additional spices or ingredients to the Focaccia dough – it didn’t need them.  I just formed the dough into a ball, then spread it out into a rectangle.

HBinFive-Pesto-Pine-Nut 006

Then, I dribbled olive oil over the top and dimpled it before letting it rest on the counter for 30 minutes.  Just before baking, I added a little more olive oil and sprinkled some kosher salt and crushed black pepper on top.

HBinFive-Pesto-Pine-Nut 007

Then, I baked it on the baking stone with the steam pan underneath for about 20 to 25 minutes.

HBinFive-Pesto-Pine-Nut 010

Let me tell you, I was not disappointed! Oh my goodness! This dough is awesome!  I’ll be making it again for sure.

HBinFive-Pesto-Pine-Nut 038

 

I only used half of the dough for the Focaccia, so I decided to make a freeform loaf using the remainder.  I almost wish I had made two Focaccias because my son and I really enjoyed it, but from the looks of the loaf, we’ll enjoy it as well. 

HBinFive-Pesto-Pine-Nut 034

We’re still snacking on the Focaccia so I didn’t want to cut the loaf yet.  However, once I do, I’m sure it won’t last very long.

 



About the HBinFive Baking Group

The HBinFive Baking Group, started by Michelle of Big Black Dogs, is baking through all of the breads in the Healthy Bread in Five Minutes book. For more information on the HBinFive baking group, check out Michelle's blog.

 



Thanks for joining me in the bread-baking blog.  Check out Michelle's blog to see what everyone else bakes for the March 15th bread braid.

 

Happy Baking!
Cathy

Here are some additional bread-making resources:

You might enjoy some of the other breads that have been featured in the bread making blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment