Friday 12 March 2010

Avocado-Guacamole Pizza with Roasted Peppers and Buns with Vegetarian Chili: HBinFive

The next bread in the March 15th HBinFive Bread Braid is Avocado-Guacamole Bread.  As the name suggests, the dough is made with avocado, along with some tomato and garlic. 

With half of the Avocado-Guacamole dough, I made Pizza with Roasted Red Peppers, Onions & Garlic.

HBin5-avocado-bread 016

For the flour, I used a mixture of freshly milled hard red spring wheat and hard white winter wheat in addition to the all-purpose flour. 

If you’re interested in learning more about milling your own grains, check out our Home Milling section.

I didn’t add any additional ingredients to the dough or use any sauce. Instead, I dribbled olive oil over the top and added some red peppers, onions and garlic that I had roasted in garlic oil and seasoned with cilantro. I had some leftover Havarti cheese (with Jalapenos) from another function so I grated it and sprinkled it over the top.

I baked the dough for about 5 minutes, topped it, then baked it some more until the cheese was melted.  I had spread the dough out pretty thin so once it baked, it was a little bit crispy in some places and not in others but it tasted great! 

HBin5-avocado-bread 024

Here’s a close-up of a slice.  The flavor was fabulous!  My son said it tasted good as an appetizer, but he thought he would go hungry without meat on his pizza.  Lol…  

HBin5-avocado-bread 029

 

With the other half of the dough, I made Avocado-Guacamole Buns and served them with Vegetarian Chili.

The authors of Healthy Bread In Five Minutes mentioned that this bread had a smoky flavor that went well with chili.  That sounded like a wonderful idea to me!  Just so happens that when I made this bread, it was rainy… the perfect night for some chili.

HBin5-avocado-bread 006

The buns tasted good, but not as flavorful as I had expected.  The flavor worked well with the chili, but I think next time, I’ll add some more garlic to the dough.

HBin5-avocado-bread 011

For the chili, I used the recipe below, but omitted the chopped chipotles. The first time I made this chili, it was way too hot even for my sons and BF.  This time, I added some extra chili powder and crushed red pepper flakes instead of the chipotles.  It was much more palatable, especially for me.

----------------------------------

(Not So) Spicy Vegetarian Chili
Adapted from http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/492

This vegetarian chili has a wonderful flavor!  This is coming from someone who loves chili with meat in it, mind you.

Ingredients

2 tablespoons olive or canola oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 medium green bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
1 medium red bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 to 3 tablespoons finely chopped chipotles in adobo sauce
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon chili powder (plus a little extra)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, with their liquid
3 cups cooked red kidney beans, drained (I used canned)
1 1/2 cups cooked black beans, drained (I used canned)
Red Pepper Flakes (to taste)

Directions

Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, celery, peppers and garlic and cook for 10 to 12 minutes, until vegetables are softened but not browned. Add chipotles, oregano, cumin, chili powder, red pepper flakes, and salt. Stir to blend. Add tomatoes and 4 cups water.  I reduced the amount of water because we like thick chili. Gently simmer over low heat, uncovered, for 45 minutes. Add beans and simmer an additional 30 minutes. Garnish individual bowls with green onions or sour cream, if desired.

------------------------------------

Thanks for joining me in the bread-baking blog.  Check out Michelle's blog to see what everyone else bakes for the March 15th bread braid.

Happy Baking!
Cathy

These Avocado-Guacamole Buns have been YeastSpotted. Please visit Wild Yeast to view all of the lovely breads in the roundup.

 



About the HBinFive Baking Group

The HBinFive Baking Group, started by Michelle of Big Black Dogs, is baking through all of the breads in the Healthy Bread in Five Minutes book. For more information on the HBinFive baking group, check out Michelle's blog.

 

 


Here are some additional bread-making resources:

You might enjoy some of the other breads that have been featured in the bread making blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment