Friday 29 January 2010

Making Jam: Grapefruit Marmalade

If you’re looking for a refreshing change from orange marmalade, then I’ve got just the thing; Grapefruit Marmalade! It’s delish!

This grapefruit marmalade has become one of my favorites. It ranks up there with Citrus Marmalade. I almost submitted this as my entry in the tigress' can jam, but decided at the last minute to make Lime Marmalade instead. 

grapefruit-marmalade 027

I wanted to make this marmalade over the Holidays with ruby red grapefruit because I thought it would make a beautiful and festive gift. However, I was hesitant to make it because of the way the Grapefruit Cranberry Marmalade turned out. That one was really bitter! 

I’ve heard that marmalade is supposed to be bitter, but I don’t particularly like bitter. My favorite jam, Citrus Marmalade (made with oranges, lemon and a grapefruit, including the rinds) is really good (and not bitter), so I just couldn’t accept that other marmalades had to be bitter – unless of course, you like them that way. 

I had almost given up on the idea of making grapefruit marmalade when I found this recipe in the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving. With their method, you soak the rinds overnight to get rid of a lot of the bitterness.  What a great idea!  Wish I had known about that when I made the Grapefruit Cranberry Marmalade.  If I ever make that one again, I’ll use this method. It makes all the difference – to me at least!

grapefruit-marmalade 021

 

Grapefruit Marmalade

Makes: about three 8-ounce jars

One of the things I really like about this marmalade recipe is that you can make a small batch if you just want a little bit or you can make a bigger batch if you want more. How easy is that!

Ingredients:

1 large grapefruit (I used ruby red)
Water
Granulated sugar

Directions:

Wash grapefruit, score skin into quarters and remove peel. With a spoon, scrape bitter white pith from peel and discard.

grapefruit-marmalade 003

Slice the peel thinly.

grapefruit-marmalade 007

In a large, deep stainless steel saucepan, combine peel with water to cover generously.  Bring to a boil over medium-low heat and boil for 10 minutes.  Drain and discard liquid.  Return to saucepan.

grapefruit-marmalade 009

Working over a bowl to catch juice and using a sharp knife, separate grapefruit segments from the membrane. 

grapefruit-marmalade 010

Add segments and juice to peel in saucepan.  Squeeze any juice from membrane into saucepan.  Discard membranes and seeds.  Add 4 cups water to peel mixture. 

grapefruit-marmalade 013

Bring to boil over medium-high heat.  Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. 

grapefruit-marmalade 014

Cover and let stand in a cool place for 12 to 18 hours.

grapefruit-marmalade 015

The next day, prepare your canner, jars and lids for water-bath canning.  For detailed instructions on water-bath canning, please refer to the instructions on the National Center for Home Preservation's site.

Return saucepan to medium-high heat and bring to a boil.  Boil until peel is tender, about 15 minutes.

grapefruit-marmalade 016

Remove from heat and measure fruit mixture.  Return to saucepan and bring back to a boil.  Maintaining a boil, gradually stir in 1 cup sugar for each cup of fruit.  Boil hard, stirring frequently, until mixture reaches gel stage, about 30 minutes.

grapefruit-marmalade 019

Remove from heat and test gel. 

grapefruit-marmalade 021

If gel stage has been reached, skim off foam.  Ladle hot marmalade into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace.  Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot marmalade. 

Wipe rim.  Center lid on jar.  Screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip-tight.  I didn’t have quite enough marmalade to fill 3 jars so I put the half-filled jar on the right in the refrigerator.  I’ve been enjoying it!

Place jars in canner, ensuring they are completely covered with water.  Bring to boil and process for 10 minutes.  I only had 2 jars to process so I just used a big pot with trivets on the bottom instead my big canning pot. 

Remove canner lid.  Wait 5 minutes, then remove jars, cool and store.  I kept this batch for myself.  I’ll have to can some more to share.

grapefruit-marmalade 029

 

Happy Canning and Baking!
Cathy


Here are some of the references I use in my canning adventures. You might enjoy them as well:

Here are some delicious breads that would go well with this jam!

No comments:

Post a Comment