Sunday 24 November 2013

Making Sourdough Pumpkin Crescent Rolls & Being Thankful

My extended family got together this past weekend to celebrate Thanksgiving.

My family enjoys pumpkin crescent rolls, but I wanted to bring something different this year. Not wanting to rock the apple cart too much, I decided to bring something different, yet the same.

I took my pumpkin crescent roll recipe, converted it to baker’s percentage and then converted it to sourdough. I created a new family favorite.  It’s my Thanksgiving sourdough surprise. These beauties are made completely by hand.

sourdough-pumpkin-crescent-rolls_255

 

During the Thanksgiving Season in the U.S., we take the opportunity to reflect on all the blessings in our lives. I try to be thankful all year round, but I don’t always hit the mark so during the Holidays, it’s time to get grounded again and cultivate an attitude of thankfulness.

I’m thankful for a lot of things; my creator, my family, my friends, my community and my life. I’m also thankful for all of the visitors to this blog. I appreciate you and your encouraging words.

I’m also thankful for my bread-baking buddies and for finally learning how to use baker’s percentages. I had a mental block or something, but now I’m loving these percentages.

What are you thankful for?

sourdough-pumpkin-crescent-rolls_155

 

These rolls taste best warm. They reheat really well. Just wrap them in foil and heat in the oven for about 10 minutes or so.

Sourdough Pumpkin Crescent Rolls

Makes: 16 Rolls, depending on how you slice them.

Ingredient: Weight: Volume:
Sourdough Starter, 100% hydration 225 g 1 cup
All purpose flour 400 g 3 cups
Brown sugar, packed 45 g 1/4 cup
Salt 7 g 1 tsp
Pumpkin Pie Spice 6 g 2 1/2 tsp
Water* 60 g 1/4 cup
Pumpkin puree 100 g 1/2 cup
Egg 45 g 1 large
Butter, cold, cut into small pieces 56 g 4 T
Butter, melted 14 1 T

* I didn’t use any water. I had a couple of tablespoons of roasted pumpkin puree left in the container so I used that instead of adding any additional water. The only water I used was what was in the sourdough starter.

 

Directions:

In a large bowl, mix the flour, brown sugar, salt and pumpkin pie spice. Add the pumpkin puree and egg to the flour mixture. Mix with a Danish dough whisk or wooden spoon until the flour is thoroughly incorporated.

sourdough-pumpkin-crescent-rolls_101

Mix in the sourdough using a Danish dough whisk. You’ll probably have to use your hands once the dough gets to thick for the whisk to handle.

Add in 4 tablespoons butter a little at a time and thoroughly incorporate it into the dough by squishing it between your fingers. This takes a little while, but it’s fun.

Place the dough on a lightly floured surface. Knead the dough a few minutes until it is smooth and springy.

sourdough-pumpkin-crescent-rolls_102

 

Place dough in large bowl greased with oil, turning dough to grease all sides. Cover and let it sit at room temperature for at least 8 hours or overnight. I made the dough before work on Friday and let it sit all day (about 10 hours) at room temperature (about 65 degrees F.), on my kitchen counter then I baked the rolls that evening.

Place dough on lightly floured surface. Knead a few times. Shape dough into a ball, then flatten.

Roll the dough out into 15-inch circle. Spread with remaining 1 tablespoon butter.

sourdough-pumpkin-crescent-rolls_106

 

Cut into 16 wedges. Roll up each wedge, starting at wide end.

sourdough-pumpkin-crescent-rolls_110

 

On ungreased cookie sheet, place rolls with points underneath and curve slightly.

Cover and let rise in warm place 30 minutes to an hour or until double in size.

Baking Tip: At this point, you can let the rolls rise, and bake them right away, or if you want to bake them the next day, place the shaped rolls in the refrigerator overnight, and let them warm up to room temperature before baking.

sourdough-pumpkin-crescent-rolls_212

 

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake uncovered 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove the rolls from the oven to a wire rack and brush with melted butter. Serve immediately or save them for later like I did.

sourdough-pumpkin-crescent-rolls_249

 

Preparing these rolls is a two day process, but the timing worked out well.  I baked them Friday night and then warmed them up on Saturday at the get together. 

The family gathering wasn’t at my house so I didn’t want to transport the unbaked rolls on a baking sheet in my car. I’ve tried that before and if I don’t have someone to hold the baking sheet, the rolls have a tendency to slide off the baking sheet and onto the floor. Not this time! I learned my lesson on that one.

I’m sharing these loaves with:

BYOB - Il Cestino del Pane

Yeastspotting

 

Happy Baking!

Cathy

No comments:

Post a Comment