Saturday 9 March 2013

Cheesy Scones taste great as an afterthought

As I mentioned in my previous post, I attended an Irish Potluck last weekend.  I wish I could say I went to great lengths to make these Cheesy Scones, but they were sort of an afterthought.

The chocolate chip scones were so easy and tasted so good, but I only made one batch. I decided I should bring some savory scones to balance things out. The recipe for the cheesy scones happened to be right underneath the Buttermilk Scones recipe so nothing magical about how I came to make these, but the flavor, oh the flavor… that’s the special part. Maybe not magical, but delicious nonetheless.

These scones remind me of the cheese biscuits you get at some restaurants. The flavor is exceptional!  Although I think almost anything with cheese tastes great, there is a special ingredient in these scones that adds to the flavor and makes them delightful. For an afterthought, I was quite pleased with these scones.

cheese-scones_4

The main problem I have with these scones is it’s hard to eat just one. Of course I had to try one (or two) to make sure they tasted okay before I brought them to the luncheon. They were so good. I had to stop myself from taste testing too many or there wouldn’t have been any left for the luncheon.

 

Cheesy Scones with spelt

Makes: 8-10 Large Scones or 16 Small Scones

Adapted from: The Best of Irish Breads & Baking from Georgina Campbell

These scones have a higher fat content (cheese and butter) so you’ll need a little more baking powder to make sure you get a good rise out of them.  I used all-purpose Spelt flour, but you can use regular all-purpose flour if you prefer.

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups (8 oz/225g) all-purpose Spelt flour
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 stick (2oz/50g) butter
  • 1 1/2 cups – 1 3/4 cups grated cheddar cheese or other hard cheese
  • 1 1/4 teaspoon mustard powder or crushed mustard seeds
  • a little salt
  • grinding of fresh black pepper
  • 1/2 cup (4oz/100mL) almond milk, approx.

 

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Grease a baking sheet.

1) Sift the flour and baking powder in a mixing bowl.  Cut in the butter and rub it until the mixture is crumbly.

cheese-scones001

 

2) Add the grated cheese, ground mustard and seasoning and mix with a whisk or wooden spoon.

cheese-scones005

 

3) Make a well in the center of the mixture and add the milk. Mix to form a soft dough. You may need to add more or less milk.

cheese-scones006

 

4) Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead it gently.

cheese-scones009

 

5) Roll the dough out into 3/4” thick circle and mark into triangles. You can make 8-10 large triangles or smaller triangles.  Or, if you prefer, cut the dough into rounds and make cheese biscuits.  I rolled my dough out a little thinner than 3/4” so I ended up with more wedges.

cheese-scones011

 

6) Brush the wedges lightly with milk and place them on the greased baking sheet.

cheese-scones016

 

7) Bake the scones in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes, until they are well-risen and golden-brown in color. Remove to a wire rack to cool slightly before serving.

cheese-scones024

 

These scones were received really well at the luncheon.  They were gone in a flash.  They are best eaten the day you make them, but they are still good the next day. I don’t know about after that because they didn’t last that long. I’ve been fighting the urge to make more all week. I may have to give in soon.

 

Happy Baking!

Cathy

 

No comments:

Post a Comment