Saturday 21 January 2012

Tuscan Bean Soup with Kale

I’ve been on a soup kick recently. It’s funny how your tastes evolve as you get older. For the longest time, I only enjoyed a few varieties of soup. Now, it seems I can’t get enough. Every time I see a new soup recipe, I want to try it.

This is one of those recipes. It’s a hearty vegetarian Tuscan Bean Soup that includes cannellini beans and kale.  I haven’t cooked with kale before so this was a good opportunity to try it.

This soup is very satisfying. I really like the flavor. Some of the comments on the original recipe stated that it was bitter. I didn’t find it to be bitter at all, but I made a couple of substitutions. I used balsamic vinegar instead of cider vinegar and added more beans and vegetable broth.

cannellini-bean-kale-soup_2469

 

Cannellini Bean and Kale Soup

Serves: 4

Adapted from: Fine Cooking Cannellini Bean and Kale Soup

Ingredients:

  • 1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped (1-1/2 cups)
  • 2 medium carrots, peeled and finely chopped (3/4 cup)
  • 2 medium celery stalks, finely chopped (3/4 cup)
  • 1-1/2 tsp. minced fresh rosemary (I used dried rosemary)
  • 2 Tbs. tomato paste
  • 2 large cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
  • 1 quart homemade or lower-salt vegetable broth (I used 4 cans)
  • 3 15-oz. cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
  • 6 oz. Lacinato kale, center ribs removed, leaves chopped (about 4 firmly packed cups)
  • 1 Parmigiano-Reggiano rind (1x3 inches; optional)  (I didn’t add this)
  • 1-1/2 tsp. cider vinegar (I used balsamic vinegar)
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

 

Directions:

Heat the oil in a 4- to 5-quart pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery, and rosemary and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to soften, about 6 minutes.

cannellini-bean-kale-soup_2453

 

Add the tomato paste and garlic and cook until fragrant, 45 seconds.

cannellini-bean-kale-soup_2454

 

Add the broth, beans, kale, and Parmigiano rind (if using).

cannellini-bean-kale-soup_2455

Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium low, and simmer gently until the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.

cannellini-bean-kale-soup_2457

 

Stir the vinegar into the soup and season to taste with salt and pepper.

cannellini-bean-kale-soup_2459

 

Enjoy!  I served this soup with a couple of slices of the Five Grain Spelt Levain. Yummy!

cannellini-bean-kale-soup_2470

 

nutrition information (per serving, original recipe):
Calories (kcal): 280; Fat (g): 6; Fat Calories (kcal): 50; Saturated Fat (g): 1; Protein (g): 12; Monounsaturated Fat (g): 2.5; Carbohydrates (g): 46; Polyunsaturated Fat (g): 1.5; Sodium (mg): 700; Cholesterol (mg): 0; Fiber (g): 12;

No comments:

Post a Comment