Sunday 19 June 2011

Semolina Sourdough

I really enjoy breads made with Semolina flour…probably because of the creamy color and nutty flavor it gives breads and pizzas. 

Bread: A Baker’s Book of Techniques and Recipes by Jeffrey Hamelman has formulas for four different kinds of Semolina breads. The first one I made utilized a yeasted pre-ferment. I adapted the recipe and made it similar to Pane Siciliano, one of my favorite Semolina Breads.

This version is made with a sourdough starter (liquid levain) which gives it a little bit of a tangy flavor.  It’s made with about 40% bread flour and 60% durum flour.  Instead of shaping the bread into round or oblong loaves, I shaped it into an S-shape similar to the Pane Siciliano. I added white sesame seeds to the dough and sprinkled black sesame seeds on the outside because I ran out of white sesame seeds.

semolina-bread-with-poolish 019

 

We enjoyed this bread toasted with butter and spread with jam. It has a delicious crunch due to the sesame seeds in the dough and on the crust.

semolina-bread-with-poolish 032

 

This is another bread from Bread: A Baker’s Book of Techniques and Recipes by Jeffrey Hamelman. You can find the recipe here.

 

Mellow Bakers was started by Paul at Yumarama.
We’re baking breads from Bread: A Baker’s Book of Techniques and Recipes by Jeffrey Hamelman.

 

 

Thanks for visiting the Bread Experience bread-baking blog.  I hope you’ll join me again soon.

Happy Baking!
Cathy

No comments:

Post a Comment