Wednesday 7 July 2010

Whole Wheat Banana Bread with Chocolate Chips

One of the breads we made for the HBinFive July 1st Bread Braid, was a Whole Wheat Banana Bread.  The HBinFive banana bread uses yeast rather than baking powder and baking soda.  I love banana quick breads, but I haven't quite gotten used to yeasted banana bread yet.  So, to give the yeasted bread a fair chance, I decided to do a comparison between the two types of bread.

I made the Yeasted Whole Wheat Banana Bread and one of my favorite quick bread banana breads. To make it fair comparison, I changed the recipe for the quick bread a little bit. Instead of using all-purpose flour, sugar and butter, I used the same combination we used for the HBinFive dough - a mixture of white whole wheat and all-purpose flours, and honey and oil.  I also substituted chocolate chips for the walnuts.

I liked this version. The honey gives it a unique flavor.  It's definitely different than banana quick breads made with all white flour, but I liked it. My main taste tester really liked the quick bread (and the yeast version).  So, I sent both breads home with him.  I have to watch my waistline you know and that's the best way I've figured out how to do it and still do what I love - mainly bake bread.





Whole Wheat Banana Bread with Chocolate Chips


Adapted from this Moist Banana Bread Recipe
Yield: 1 loaf (about 12 slices)

Ingredients:

  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup honey (instead of 1 cup of sugar)
  • 3 medium ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
  • 1/2 cup oil (instead of 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 cup sour cream (I used fat-free)
  • 1 cup white whole wheat flour (I used  freshly milled white whole wheat flour)
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder (this wasn't called for in the original recipe)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt (I used sea salt)
  • 1/2 cup chopped nuts (if desired)  I added some chocolate chips instead

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 9 x 5 inch loaf pan. In a small bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and salt and set aside.





In a medium bowl, beat the sugar and butter with an electric mixer until creamy.  I used oil and honey instead of butter and sugar so I just beat it with a whisk.



Add eggs, vanilla, sour cream and mashed bananas and mix well. Blend in the dry ingredients.



Add the nuts (or chocolate chips) if desired.



Pour into prepared pan.



Bake for 1 hour or until top is set.


Remove the loaf from the oven and cool on a wire rack.  I let it cool in the pan for a few minutes, then removed it from the pan to finish cooling for a bit. 


This banana bread actually tastes better the next day if you can wait that long.


Thanks for visiting The Bread Experience Bread-Baking Blog. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will join me again next time.


Happy Baking!
Cathy

No comments:

Post a Comment