Saturday 28 December 2013

Make-Ahead Honey Spelt Rolls

I enjoy making different types of breads and rolls with spelt flour.  I’ve had many successes, but some duds as well.

spelt-dinner-rolls_212

One of my less than glorious attempts at utilizing spelt in a recipe happened on Thanksgiving Day. I converted my favorite yeast roll recipe to spelt sourdough and used all-purpose spelt flour instead of bread flour.

This turned out to be a bit too many changes at one time. The rolls tasted pretty good but the texture was more like a hard biscuit than a fluffy roll. I think the dough fermented too long.  No one complained because we had plenty of food, but this was not the texture I was looking for.

I redeemed myself when I made Spelt Dinner Rolls for Christmas Dinner.  I served them to my son’s girlfriend’s family so I was doubly pleased that they turned out.  They were definitely not duds. They received the thumbs up from everyone that tried them. 

spelt-dinner-rolls_110

 

These rolls are super easy! The dough can be made ahead of time and frozen. This worked out perfect for my schedule. I went out of town for a couple of days so I was able to make the dough the day before, freeze it and transport it with me on the two-and-a-half-hour drive.  The rolls were just starting to unfreeze when I got to my destination so I put them back in the freezer to rest overnight.

On Christmas Day, I took the rolls out of the freezer and let them warm up a bit.  Then I reshaped them and placed them in a muffin tin to bake. I transported them again during the final proof and baked them once I got to the host kitchen.

Everyone waited with baited breath for the rolls to bake and I’m happy to say they did not disappoint.  They were fluffy and yummy.

 

Make-Ahead Honey Spelt Rolls

Adapted from: Taste of the South’s Make-Ahead Honey Wheat Rolls

Makes: 2 Dozen Rolls

Ingredients:

  • 3 3/4 cups all-purpose spelt flour
  • 2 cups whole grain spelt flour
  • 2 tsp. instant yeast
  • 1 1/2 tsp. sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp. salt
  • scant 1/3 cup honey
  • scant 1/3 cup olive oil
  • 1 1/2 – 1 3/4 cups warm water (100° to 115°)

 

Directions:

I think these rolls could be made by hand very easily, but I was pressed for time so I opted to use my stand mixer.

1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix together the flours, yeast, salt, and sugar using a wire whisk or wooden spoon.

2. Add the honey and oil and gradually add in the warm water. Using the dough hook, beat at medium speed until all of the ingredients are incorporated. Spelt does better if you don’t over mix it.

3. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead it until it is soft and supple. Place the dough in a large bowl; spray with nonstick cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover, and let rise in a warm place, until doubled in size, about 1 hour.

spelt-dinner-rolls_102

4. Punch the dough down. Cover large baking sheets with parchment paper or wax paper, and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Divide dough into 24 portions. With lightly floured hands, shape each portion of dough into a ball. Place dough balls on prepared baking sheets 1 inch apart. Cover and freeze until firm. Remove dough balls from baking sheets; place in resealable freezer bags. Seal bags, and freeze. (Dough is best if used within 2 months.)

spelt-dinner-rolls_104

5. To bake frozen dough, remove dough balls from freezer. Place each dough ball in a muffin cup coated with nonstick cooking spray. Cover with a dish towel, and let rise in a warm place (85° F.), until doubled in size, about 1 to 1½ hours. I only had 1 muffin tin with me so I baked half in the muffin tin and the other half on a baking sheet.  They both looked and tasted great.

 

spelt-dinner-rolls_107 spelt-dinner-rolls_108

 

6. Preheat oven to 350° F.. Uncover dough; bake until golden brown, 17 to 20 minutes. Let cool in pans for 5 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on a wire rack.

7. To bake rolls on the same day you make the dough, place dough in muffin cups coated with nonstick cooking spray. Cover, and let rise in a warm place (85° F.), until doubled in size, 35 to 40 minutes. Uncover; bake at 350° F. until golden brown, 17 to 20 minutes. Let cool in pans for 5 minutes. Remove from pans, and serve warm or let cool completely on a wire rack.

spelt-dinner-rolls_218

 

These rolls were special because they were made with Spelt but also because I used Roman olive oil, the same oil my youngest son brought back with him from Rome. I’m sure they would taste good with any olive oil, but they were particularly delicious and memorable because I included his olive oil.

 

I’m sharing these rolls with:

BYOB - Il Cestino del Pane

 

Happy Baking!

Cathy

No comments:

Post a Comment