Monday 18 March 2013

Making Soda Crackers because you can

Instead of making Irish Soda Bread on St. Patrick’s Day, I decided to do something totally out of the ordinary.  I made soda crackers. You might ask why anyone would want to make soda crackers when it’s so easy to just pick them up at the grocery store or specialty market.  Because you can, that’s why. 

Awhile back, one of my visitors asked me if I would add a crackers’ section to my site. Since then, I’ve had soda crackers on my list to bake every month. After months and months of adding crackers to my list and then moving them to the next month, I finally got around to making some. Now that I’ve made this basic version, I plan to try different flours and flavor combinations.

These soda crackers are not your everyday run of the mill crackers, mind you. They are made with soda, but also include yeast, which is something you don’t usually find in soda crackers.  In addition, the dough requires an overnight rest in the refrigerator. This overnight rest enhances the flavor and the texture of the crackers.

soda-crackers18

 

Although on most any given day, you can find shelves filled with all types of crackers at the grocery store and specialty markets, there’s just something about homemade. Not only is it fun to make your own crackers, but you can feel good about eating them because you know what’s in them. 

These crackers are really easy to make. You can use a variety of salts. I wanted to start with the basics so I used kosher salt to top my crackers, but you can use your favorite fancy salt or other seasoning if you prefer. I put a bit too much salt on mine so next time, I’ll use a lighter hand when I’m sprinkling on the salt.

soda-crackers_23

 

These soda crackers make a great snack, but they can be addictive. It’s easy to keep popping them in your mouth. Since you know what’s in them, that’s not such a bad thing, but do try to share some.

soda-crackers15

When wrapped tightly, the crackers will keep for a while if you don’t eat them all at once.

 

To make these crackers, refer to the recipe and instructions for King Arthur Flour’s Gourmet Soda Crackers. 

For a variation on a theme, refer to my post on Einkorn Soda Crackers.

 

Happy Baking!

Cathy

 

No comments:

Post a Comment