Sunday 21 October 2012

Can It Up! Cardamom Apple Cider Butter

It’s been a couple of years since the Tigress Can Jam. I thoroughly enjoyed participating in that challenge so when Hima of All Four Burners contacted me to let me know about Can It Up!, I jumped on the bandwagon right away.  Now I have an excuse for being a canning fanatic. Not that I needed one, but that’s my story and I’m sticking to it. I participated every month in the Tigress Can Jam, but I do like the idea of a more low key challenge this time. 

As you might expect, the fruit of the month for October is Apples. I love Fall and going to the mountains to see all of the beautiful colors and visiting my favorite farm along the way to get apples. I came back with several different varieties of apples, but for this Apple Butter, I used Winesap.

apple-cardamom-butter002

 

I started canning several years ago and now, every year, I make apple butter. I wanted to try something different this year so I searched through all of my canning books for ideas. I finally found two recipes that sounded really good. Both versions use apple cider and one used cardamom instead of cinnamon. I really like cardamom so that sounded like a great addition. I also added some nutmeg to give it a bit of a kick.

I used what I liked about both recipes and streamlined the process by cooking it in my slow cooker, until the water-bath-canning part, that is. So instead of laboriously peeling and coring the apples, and slaving over the stove to cook down the apples, I let my slow cooker do all the work. It made things so much easier.

 

Cardamom Apple Cider Butter

Makes: 4- 6 Pints

Adapted from: Canning and Preserving with Ashley English and Put em Up! by Sherri Brooks Vinton

apple-cardamom-butter05

 

Ingredients:

  • 5 pounds of cooking apples, stems removed (I used Winesap)
  • 3 cups apple cider, divided 
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 tablespoon Cardamom
  • 1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg

 

Directions:

Step 1: Cook the apples

Wash the apples, remove the stems and slice them into quarters. Place the sliced apples and 2 cups of apple cider in the crockpot. Cook on low for 4 to 5 hours until the apples are soft.  Stir the apples occasionally to make sure they cook evenly.

apple-cardamom-butter006

 

Step 2: Puree the apples

Cool the apples slightly, then run the mixture through a food mill to remove the seeds and skins.

apple-cardamom-butter008

 

I used the medium screen to make the puree.

apple-cardamom-butter011

 

Step 3: Cook the puree until it thickens

Return the apple puree to the pot. Add the additional cup of apple cider,  the lemon juice, sugar, cardamom, and nutmeg.  Cook the mixture on low for a couple more hours until it is thick.

apple-cardamom-butter012

 

Step 4: Ladle the butter into jars

After the butter thickens, ladle it into pint-size mason jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Release the trapped air using a Bubble Remover and Headspace Tool. Then add the lids and rings, and process the jars in a boiling-water bath for 10 minutes. For more information on water-bath canning, refer to the National Center for Home Preservation web site.  

 

Step 5: Let jars rest on counter overnight

Turn the heat off. Remove canner lid. Wait 5 minutes, then remove the jars, and let them sit on the counter for 24 hours to cool and ensure they are sealed correctly. You should hear the lids pop if they are sealed properly.

 

Step 6: Store jars in a cool, dry place.

Place the sealed jars in a cool, dry place for storage for up to a year. If any of the jars do not seal properly, place them in the refrigerator. They will last for a couple of months in the refrigerator.

apple-cardamom-butter7

 

Thanks to Hima of All Four Burners for starting this Challenge. It’s time to Can It Up!

Happy Canning!

Cathy

 

You might also enjoy these Apple Butter recipes:

     

    Canning resources:

    No comments:

    Post a Comment