Monday 3 September 2012

Strawberry-Kiwi Jam for a Jam Exchange

It’s time once again for Steph Chow’s Jam Exchange.  I always enjoy participating in this jam exchange because I get to make some new jams and try some new jams that somebody else made.

Print

This is my third year participating in this jam exchange. In 2010, I made Cherry Preserves and Cantaloupe Preserves with Cinnamon, last year I made Spiced Wine and Peach Jam and Mango Raspberry Jam.

This year, I made Peach Orange Marmalade for the exchange, but I still needed one more jam. I had a hard time deciding which one to make. Then I remembered I had some frozen strawberries from my strawberry-picking adventure this past May. I wanted to make something unique and I finally found this tasty recipe for Strawberry-Kiwi Jam.

Strawberry-Kiwi-Jam01

 

This is a beautiful and delicious jam. The kiwis blend really well with the strawberries to create a rather exotic flavor, and the little black seeds add eye appeal and crunchiness to the jam.

 

Strawberry-Kiwi Jam

Makes: About 2 pints or 4 cups

Recipe from The Joy of Jams, Jellies, and Other Sweet Preserves by Linda Ziedrich

 

Ingredients:

  • 1 pound hulled strawberries
  • 1 pound peeled fuzzy kiwis
  • 3 cups sugar

 

Directions:

1) Place the fruit in a large non-reactive preserving pot. Crush the fruit with a potato masher. Then still in the sugar.

Strawberry-Kiwi-Jamd01

 

2) Heat the mixture over medium heat and stir until the sugar dissolves. Turn the heat to medium-high, then boil the jam until a drop mounds in a chilled dish.

Strawberry-Kiwi-Jamd04

 

3) Ladle the jam into clean, sterilized, half-pint (8 oz) canning jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles if necessary with a bubble remover and headspace tool. Wipe the edges clean with a clean, wet paper towel. Center lid on jar.  Screw the band down until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip-tight. Process for 10 minutes in a water-bath canner.

I ended up with enough jam for 3 1/2 jars so I processed 3 jars and put the remaining 1/2 jar in the refrigerator to enjoy.

Strawberry-Kiwi-Jamd06

If you live in a higher altitude or need more detailed instructions on water-bath canning, please refer to the instructions at the National Center for Home Preservation.

 

4) Turn off the heat, remove canner lid, and let jars rest in the water for 5 minutes.  Remove jars and set aside for 24 hours.  Check seals, then store in a cool, dark place for up to 1 year.

Strawberry-Kiwi-Jam03

 

 

Here are the jams I sent my jam partner. Strawberry-Kiwi Jam and Peach Orange Marmalade. I hope my jam exchange partner enjoys them.

strawberry-kiwi-jam0004

 

Happy Canning!

Cathy

No comments:

Post a Comment