Sunday 25 September 2011

Classic Tomato Soup from the Garden

Nothing beats the taste of fresh tomatoes from the garden.  At least that is what I’ve always heard. I had never really been fond of tomatoes regardless of whether they were fresh from the garden or from the market.  That is, until I started growing my own tomatoes. There’s just something about growing your own food that makes you appreciate the flavor of food more and gives you a sense of satisfaction in knowing that you are eating healthy. 

Even though I didn’t care too much for raw tomatoes growing up, I have always enjoyed dishes made with tomatoes, particularly tomato soup. When you pair tomato soup with crusty bread or a grilled cheese sandwich, it’s comfort food at it’s finest.

I picked a bunch of tomatoes from my garden the other day and since the weather has gotten a little bit cooler, I decided to make tomato soup - again.  This Classic Tomato Soup is made with Roma tomatoes and herbs from my garden.

classic-tomato-soup_0211

 

A friend came over for dinner the other night and I served this tomato soup with the Garden Tomato Bread I posted about a few days ago.

 

The combination of the tomato soup and bread was delicious! I think this is my favorite tomato soup so far. It’s smooth and creamy, but it doesn’t have any milk or cream in it. My friend enjoyed this soup so much that he texted me a couple of days later and said “The soup is still on my mind. Next time you make it, make a couple of extra bowls 4 me”. I still have a bunch of tomatoes so I don’t’ think that will be a problem.

 

Classic Tomato Soup

Yield: 8 cups

From: Fine Cooking Magazine 91, pp. 55; January 16, 2008
 http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/meyers-classic-tomato-soup.aspx?

Ingredients:

  • 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 Tbs. unsalted butter
  • 1 large onion, finely chopped
  • 1 large clove garlic, smashed and peeled
  • 2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
  • 3 cups lower-salt chicken broth
  • 28-oz. can whole peeled plum tomatoes, puréed (include the juice)  (I used fresh Roma tomatoes)
  • 1-1/2 tsp. sugar
  • 1 sprig fresh thyme (or more to taste)
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 3 Tbs. thinly sliced fresh basil, chives, or dill, or a mixture of all three

 

Directions:

  1. I used about 44 ounces of fresh Roma tomatoes. I blanched them in boiling hot water, then put them in ice cold water and the peels came right off.

    classic-tomato-soup-0731

     

  2. In a nonreactive 5- to 6-quart Dutch oven, heat the oil and butter over medium-low heat until the butter melts. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft but not browned, about 8 minutes. Add the flour and stir to coat the onion and garlic.

    classic-tomato-soup-0740

     

  3. Add the broth, tomatoes, sugar, thyme, and 1/4 tsp. each salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat while stirring the mixture to make sure that the flour is not sticking to the bottom of the pan. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 40 minutes.

    classic-tomato-soup-0742

     

  4. Discard the thyme sprig. Let cool briefly and then purée in two or three batches in a blender or food processor.

    classic-tomato-soup-0799

     

  5. Rinse the pot and return the soup to the pot. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Reheat if necessary. Serve warm but not hot, garnished with the herbs.

    classic-tomato-soup_0205

     

    Note: This soup stores beautifully and tastes better the second day. You can keep it in the refrigerator as long as you bring it to a boil every two days. Or you can stash it in the freezer for up to three months.

    nutrition information (per serving):
    Calories (kcal): 110; Fat (g): 5; Fat Calories (kcal): 50; Saturated Fat (g): 1.5; Protein (g): 3; Monounsaturated Fat (g): 3; Carbohydrates (g): 11; Polyunsaturated Fat (g): 0.5; Sodium (mg): 430; Cholesterol (mg): 5; Fiber (g): 2;

No comments:

Post a Comment