Thursday 7 July 2011

Honey Graham Bread

I started going back through the baking list for the HBinFive Baking Group to catch up on some of the breads I missed over the past several months. 

I decided to make this Honey Graham Bread with some Antebellum Style Rustic Course Graham Flour I got from Anson Mills. I don’t know how I missed this one. This bread is amazing!  

graham-bread 026

 

Cinnamon Honey Graham Bread Recipe

Adapted from Healthy Bread in Five Minutes by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois

Yield: 1 loaf (double the recipe for 2 loaves)

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups graham flour
  • 2 1/8 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (I used a blend of white and whole wheat flour)
  • 1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 3/4 tablespoon (or 1 packet) granulated yeast
  • 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
  • 1/8 cup vital wheat gluten
  • 1 3/4 cups lukewarm water
  • 3/8 cup honey
  • 3 tablespoons neutral-flavored oil (or melted unsalted butter)


Directions:

  1. Mix together the flours, cinnamon, yeast, salt, and vital wheat gluten in a large bowl using a whisk or a wooden spoon.
  2. Add the liquid ingredients and incorporate it completely into the dry ingredients using a Danish dough whisk.

    graham-bread 001 

  3. Cover the bowl (or container) and allow the dough to rest at room temperature until it rises and collapses, about 2 hours. Refrigerate the dough for at least 24 hours and up to 7 days.
  4. When you’re ready to bake, remove the dough from the refrigerator and shape it into a ball. Let the ball rest for about 5 minutes, then elongate the ball into an oval shape and place it in a lightly greased nonstick loaf pan. Cover loosely and let the loaf proof for an hour and 45 minutes.

    graham-bread 003

    graham-bread 006

  5. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. and place the loaf on the middle rack in the oven.  Let it bake for 45 to 50 minutes.
  6. Remove the bread from the oven and let it cool completely on a wire rack before serving.

     graham-bread 023 

  7. Then slice and enjoy.  Oh my!  This bread is so good. I almost kept it for myself.

    graham-bread 029

    However, I decided to bring the loaf with me when I went to visit my oldest son this past weekend.  His friends loved it!  They said it was softer (and tastier) than store bought bread. It tasted great plain or with butter or peanut butter.  I left the rest of the loaf for them to enjoy.  I only made one loaf. I guess I’ll have to make another one.

    graham-bread

 

This bread has been YeastSpotted. Please visit Wild Yeast to view all of the lovely breads in the roundup.

 

Thanks for joining me in the bread baking blog. 

Happy Baking!
Cathy

 

About the HBinFive Baking Group

 

The HBinFive Baking Group, started by Michelle of Big Black Dogs, is baking through all of the breads in the Healthy Bread in Five Minutes book. For more information on the HBinFive baking group, check out BigBlackDog.

No comments:

Post a Comment