Saturday 12 March 2011

Apple-Barley Bread: HBinFive

My quest continues…

I took a break from HBinFive last month and skipped a couple of (rye) breads in the lineup, but I’m jumping back in with this Apple Barley Bread.  I really enjoyed the Normandy Apple Bread we made for the Mellow Bakers last month so I was looking forward to making this bread.

This Apple-Barley Bread is from Healthy Bread in Five Minutes and is made with a mixture of barley flour and all-purpose flour along with a little bit of rye flour.  It also includes some freshly grated apples, dried apples, apple cider and barley malt.  This combination gives it a deliciously chewy and intense flavor.

apple-barley-bread 022

 

If you’re interested in baking this bread, you can find the recipe on page 194 of the book. If you’re wondering why the recipe isn’t posted, please refer to this message regarding the authors’ copyright. 

I like this bread. The apple flavor doesn’t get muted by the flavor of the flours.  The barley flour actually enhances it.  I also like the fact that this bread is baked in a loaf pan rather than freeform.  It’s easier to toast it. I forgot to add the egg wash and raw sugar to the top of the loaf but I don’t think it needed it.  I enjoyed this bread warm with butter and also with some Maple Apple Butter.

 

Thanks for joining me in the bread-baking blog. 

Happy Baking!

Cathy

 

 

 

About the HBinFive Baking Group
The HBinFive Baking Group, started by Michelle of Big Black Dogs, is baking through all of the breads in the Healthy Bread in Five Minutes book. For more information on the HBinFive baking group, check out BigBlackDog.

No comments:

Post a Comment