Wednesday 17 February 2010

Pickled Baby Carrots: tigress can jam #2

The theme for this month’s tigress can jam is carrots. I was so excited when Doris and Jilly announced it on their blog.  I had the perfect recipe that I had been wanting to make since the Holidays.  However, that recipe takes a little while to make and I just haven’t had the time. So I opted for something a little less time consuming. 

Since we’re doing different fruits or vegetables each month, and I still have a bunch of jars from my canning adventures this past Fall, I decided to get a book on small batch canning.  It seemed like the practical thing to do. The book has some cool recipes and I found a fast and easy recipe for pickling baby carrots. I’m not really used to anything pickled except cucumbers, but this recipe sounded delicious so I thought I’d give it a try!  

Picked Baby Carrots with Oregano & Peppers

Makes: 2 Pint Jars

pickled-carrots 019

The recipe is from The Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving by Ellie Topp and Margaret Howard.  The book has over 300 recipes that can be made year-round so I’ll probably be using more of the recipes throughout this challenge.

Ingredients:

  • 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh oregano or 1 tablespoon dried (I used dried. My fresh oregano is a little worse for the wear right now)
  • 2 tablespoons each: chopped sweet red and green pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
  • 2 small cloves garlic
  • 1 lb peeled baby carrots
  • 1 1/2 cups white vinegar
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1 teaspoon pickling salt

Here is everything you need to get started.  I put the vinegar and the water in the same measuring cup.

pickled-carrots 002

Directions:

Combine oregano, peppers and hot pepper flakes. 

pickled-carrots 004

Remove hot jars from canner and divide pepper mixture between them.

pickled-carrots 005

Add 1 clove garlic to each jar and fill each with half the carrots leaving 1/2 inch headspace.  Meanwhile, combine vinegar, water and salt in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Pour hot liquid over carrots to within 1/2 inch of rim (headspace). 

pickled-carrots 008

Process 15 minutes for pint jars. If you live in a higher altitude or need more detailed instructions on water-bath canning, please refer to the instructions at the National Center for Home Preservation.

See, I told you it was easy!  Now, we just have to wait a little while before we can eat them.  Most pickles need a few weeks to mellow before they are ready to eat.  Serve pickles cold and refrigerate pickles after opening.

pickled-carrots 011

 

Pickling Tips:

When pickling, be sure to follow the instructions and use the appropriate amount of vinegar. Vinegar is the essential ingredient in the pickling process. It provides the acidity necessary to preserve produce as well as adding piquant flavor. Never use a vinegar that is less than 5% acetic acid. White vinegar is most commonly used because it does not affect the color of the condiment.

It is important to use only pickling salt. Table salt contains iodine that can turn the condiment dark, as well as anti-caking agents that can give a cloudy appearance.

Sugar is generally added for flavor, but it also helps to keep the preserved condiment firm.  Most recipes call for white granulated sugar, but brown sugar and maple syrup may also be added for their flavors.

I'm participating in the tigress' Can Jam during 2010. We'll be making jams and pickling for a whole year. Follow my progress on this blog.  Stay tuned for the February Can Jam Roundup…

 

Happy Canning and Baking!
Cathy

 

In addition to my new book on small batch canning, here are some of the references I use in my canning adventures. You might enjoy them as well:

No comments:

Post a Comment